Organic Chemistry - Stereochemistry Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the stereochemistry of the product that results from addition of Br2 to 1-methylcyclohexene? Is the product optically active? Explain.

I have the solution to this problem, but I was just wondering if someone can explain it to me in layman's terms.......I'm having a hard time getting this down.....

Members don't see this ad.

What is the stereochemistry of the product that results from addition of Br2 to 1-methylcyclohexene? Is the product optically active? Explain.

I have the solution to this problem, but I was just wondering if someone can explain it to me in layman's terms.......I'm having a hard time getting this down.....

This is a Markovnikov product because A) anti-markovnikov product would involve hydroboration (BH3). B) the double bond.

The product is going to be 1-bromo-1-methyl-cyclohexane and hydrobromic acid. My guess is going to be that it is not going to be active.

the carbon 1 that is connected to the methyl group is achiral so it will not be optically active. its connected to two CH2s, a Br, and a CH3. what does your solution say?

I think it might be 1,2-dibromo-1-methycyclohexane. There's a bromonium ion intermediate and the incoming bromide ion would attack anti to that. If that is the case, I believe it would generate a chiral carbon.

It's a 50:50 racemic mixture of R,R and S,S dibromides with each Br on opposite side. Yeah, these problems are tricky.