1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Organic Chemistry - Stereochemistry Problem

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by skyisblue, Feb 24, 2007.

1. skyisblue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What is the stereochemistry of the product that results from addition of Br2 to 1-methylcyclohexene? Is the product optically active? Explain.

I have the solution to this problem, but I was just wondering if someone can explain it to me in layman's terms.......I'm having a hard time getting this down.....

2. CyborgNinjaX

CyborgNinjaX Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    This is a Markovnikov product because A) anti-markovnikov product would involve hydroboration (BH3). B) the double bond.

The product is going to be 1-bromo-1-methyl-cyclohexane and hydrobromic acid. My guess is going to be that it is not going to be active.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. slashnroses19

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    the carbon 1 that is connected to the methyl group is achiral so it will not be optically active. its connected to two CH2s, a Br, and a CH3. what does your solution say?

4. REH

REH Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think it might be 1,2-dibromo-1-methycyclohexane. There's a bromonium ion intermediate and the incoming bromide ion would attack anti to that. If that is the case, I believe it would generate a chiral carbon.

5. OP
    OP
    skyisblue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's a 50:50 racemic mixture of R,R and S,S dibromides with each Br on opposite side. Yeah, these problems are tricky.