Organic Chemistry....What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJSpaulding

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I am attending a Calif. community college and have just stumbled upon a UCR summer session program that would allow me to take the entire year sequence of O-chem within the upcoming summer. I would really love to hear feedback from anyone who has done this program at UCR or a similar program done somewhere else. It looks like an all day 4-5 days a week for 9 weeks program. I am kind of on the tip of a double-edged sword here...my community college is putting together an O-chem class for the next Fall semester, and the class will be without a doubt very small, which will allow me more access to my professor. On the other hand though I know that med schools like seeing those pre med reqs. done at more competitive 4-year institutions, and it would be really great to take care of O-chem during the summer. So, once again, any comments/suggestions/tips would be great!

RJS

Members don't see this ad.

Take Organic over a long time frame, not a short one. There's a lot of material to learn. You need to get good grades in these classes.

take a look at pervious post. I took o-chem in 9 weeks at Santa Clara and iit wasn't too bad.

RJSpaulding said:
Ok,

I am attending a Calif. community college and have just stumbled upon a UCR summer session program that would allow me to take the entire year sequence of O-chem within the upcoming summer. I would really love to hear feedback from anyone who has done this program at UCR or a similar program done somewhere else. It looks like an all day 4-5 days a week for 9 weeks program. I am kind of on the tip of a double-edged sword here...my community college is putting together an O-chem class for the next Fall semester, and the class will be without a doubt very small, which will allow me more access to my professor. On the other hand though I know that med schools like seeing those pre med reqs. done at more competitive 4-year institutions, and it would be really great to take care of O-chem during the summer. So, once again, any comments/suggestions/tips would be great!

RJS

Members don't see this ad :)
O-chem is a mean class that is a lot like learning another language. You learn the language better over a long time frame.
If you can go into this summer class with a decent understanding of electrochemical principles, then you should be alright. However, the information you gain may be more of the short-term variety, since the whole summer will be one big cram session. I took one semester during the condensed summer session, and it was the hardest class I've ever taken. Between class, lab, and studying, I was spending at least 10 hrs per day on chemistry (weekends included).
I'd recommend picking up "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-5039328-0396844?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
and "Pushing Electrons"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-5039328-0396844?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
if you decide to go this route.

I took OChem I and II in a regular spring semester. 3 hour lectures two days a week and 4 hour labs on those days also. It hurt. Previous posters are correct in that it's a whole new ballgame, unlike gchem where you can get away with it by being decent at math.

I made A's in both while working two jobs plus being a husband and father. It took a LOT of focus. I'm going back over it on my own as I feel there are still things I didn't learn well enough for my tastes. You not only have to learn the foundation (electrophiles, nucleophiles, 3 dimensional geometry, etc) but you also have to learn the different categories of reaction and the different permutations of each reaction. I may be a little on the geeky side, but I wanted to know WHY as well as HOW. My thoughts were that this was going to be a foundational building block of my profession so I had better KNOW it now as it'll make things easier later on......

Again, YMMV and this advice plus $1.00 will get you a soda water out of the machine.....

I took Organic chem at Cornell over the summer at the same time as studying for the MCAT, shadowing a doctor and volunteer work in a hospital; it's tough but doable. good luck. and btw there were definite advantages of doing it while studying for the MCAT.

Hey DaveinDallas,

Did you take O-chem in Dallas? At UTA or UTD? I know that DCCCD (Northlake) offers those accelerated classes in the sciences. I started the G-chem sequence, but had to drop for personal reasons. Is that where you took O-chem I and II in 1 semester?

forgive my nosiness....

Agape

I loved OCHEM...it was actually my favorite undergrad class.

On that note, I would suggest taking it during a semester where you are more likely to fully understand the concepts and get an in-depth understanding of how everything works. You will more likely have a better retention time if you take the class during the semester.

I would, however, try to find out a bit about the teacher for either course before signing up. I had one terrible professor and two great professors--the ability of the teacher makes a huge difference in this class. For me, OCHEM was one of the most useful lectures that I have ever taken.

Hey, negative perspiration...you're not being nosy.

Yes, I took it at Northlake. I will tell you that you'll have to stay disciplined and focused for various reasons.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it. I'm looking into doing biochem at UTD just for giggles. For me, I want to understand the sequence of everything: 1) Gen chem tells me how things react and builds molecules and atoms and various interactions between elements in various states of existence. 2) O chem tells me more about carbon reactions and the basis for biological molecules (lipids, fats, carbs). Genetics/bio clued me in a little about ribosomes making proteins etc. I'm thinking biochem ties it all together and starts hitting the reactions inside the cells of your body and how the configuration all works, etc. This could be fun.....

sunnyjohn said:
Hey DaveinDallas,

Did you take O-chem in Dallas? At UTA or UTD? I know that DCCCD (Northlake) offers those accelerated classes in the sciences. I started the G-chem sequence, but had to drop for personal reasons. Is that where you took O-chem I and II in 1 semester?

forgive my nosiness....

Agape

I know this isn't an orgo question, but are there any good texts or helps on Physics? It's been a few moons since I took it and it hurt me on the MCAT. Or maybe my study technique was wrong - I was more concerned about rehashing the concepts (have 'em down cold, understand minutae about them, etc) in all four areas than i was in taking practice exams. big mistake.

Anyway, I didn't know about any physics help. I may want to retake the MCAT. I mean, I am waitlisted at my first choice of school, but I know I'm capable of a better score.....

I'd rather not retake the class since I learn by reading the book and doing the exercises anyway - if I have questions, that's when I usually ask, but to sit in lecture when it's a rehash of the book is a little time consuming....

I took organic 1 and 2 with labs in a total of 7 1/2 weeks at Colorado College. I like it better that way as the intensiveness of the course allows for total immersion (to steal the analogy to learning languages). I did well and went on to tutor, grade, and do research in organic chemistry.