Organic chemistry, why is it so difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done well in both Chem 1 and 2. I was 95th percentile in #1, and 99th percentile in #2 as far as the ACS tests go. Despite this, I am scared of O Chem. Dozens of my class mates are taking the class up the road at a different school (a better school) to avoid taking it from our O-Chem professor, but I don't really have that option. Why is O-Chem so difficult, and what can I be doing to do well in the course?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done well in both Chem 1 and 2. I was 95th percentile in #1, and 99th percentile in #2 as far as the ACS tests go. Despite this, I am scared of O Chem. Dozens of my class mates are taking the class up the road at a different school (a better school) to avoid taking it from our O-Chem professor, but I don't really have that option. Why is O-Chem so difficult, and what can I be doing to do well in the course?

I think OChem is hard because of the overwhelming amount of reactions, mechanisms, and concepts you need to know. Fortunately, it can be much easier if you make a serious effort to do all assigned readings and practice problems...I wasn't one to take my own advice, but if someone were around to tell me to pay attention through the basics, organic chem would have been a lot easier for me. If you don't get the early mechanisms and concepts down, it is MUCH harder to make sense of the more complex ones.

I'm studying like crazy right now for my O-Chem final (sort of... I'm also checking SDN occasionally to make myself feel better when other people are in the same boat). You're right, it's a pretty wild course, but if you stay on top of the reading and not let it bother you that your professor is an amazing scientist but a lousy teacher, you'll do well.

It also helps to have the class curve set around a higher average and to not take it at the same time as those super-smart kids who love spending their summer in O-Chem while you worry about whether or not you're taking the DAT too late because everyone else is starting to get interview invitations and you should be studying for that instead of O-Chem and Physics and ::::BREATHE::::

Sorry. But yeah, you'll do well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Orgo is just made out to be difficult by everyone because it's completely brand new material. But to be honest, Orgo isn't difficult per se; it just takes A LOT of time to master. Just know that you're going to spend a lot of time on the course, buckle down, do the work. I took Orgo a year after most of my friends, and I saw that my friends went through hell during that year. So when I took it, I automatically knew that I was going to study my butt off. Read the book. Go to lecture. Read the book again. Draw the stuff you don't get- which is most likely to be everything. Do problems. Do problems. Do problems. Rinse and repeat. It's a different sort of studying too- you really have to understand what you're doing if you're going to get it right.

Oh, and a little tiny book will help you out so much: Organic Chemistry as a 2nd Language. It's such a quick read, and it only covers the basics, but once you have the fundamentals down, everything gets a whole lot easier. Trust me, this book is worth its weight in gold. First exam, I studied like crazy, but the way I studied was wrong- I outlined my book, much like I would for a bio exam, and I didn't concentrate on problems and the logic behind the reactions. I got a 60, class average was a 65 (average = C, so I was at like.. C-). Second exam, I read Organic as a 2nd Language, skimmed through the book, did the problems over and over and over again while referring back to Organic as a 2nd Language. I got a 98, class average was a 50. Super A plus. I was so glad I got the book after that.

I personally didn't think Org chem was that bad. The thing with org chem is that it just keeps coming at you each class. While there are some underlying themes throughout, it seems like new stuff each class. The key, IMO, is to stay on top of it and don't get behind.

I personally didn't think Org chem was that bad. The thing with org chem is that it just keeps coming at you each class. While there are some underlying themes throughout, it seems like new stuff each class. The key, IMO, is to stay on top of it and don't get behind.

Wow, and you totally killed in the O-Chem section on the DAT. I'd say listen to this one here.

I thought orgo was challenging, but fun at the same time. Biochemistry and Physics on the other hand are frustrating and very hard.

I really didn't care for any of the chems. However, I thought Ochem was a lot easier than Gen. The only section I liked was the EAS section in Ochem II.

Biochem is much harder than G and O chem. The volume of material is insane, our average test would have 500-700 powerpoints, plus required reading and my prof really had no business teaching.

Study hard, try to really understand the mechs and you'll do fine.

O-Chem is not hard its fun and pretty easy.

I think it's really because Ochem is just so different from Gchem - the vast majority of the information you learn in Gchem isn't directly applied to Ochem at all. Gchem is also very math oriented, whereas Ochem has hardly any at all. I much perfered Gchem because I'm very math minded, and I totally sucked it up at Ochem when I took it - ended up getting a D my second semester. But after retaking it, and really backtracking to relearn the material I didn't get the first time, I started to somewhat enjoy it. And what busted said about EAS is right, that was my favorite unit too.

The key thing with Ochem is to have a SOLID foundation, because most all reactions in Ochem rely on only a few simple rules, and they're just changing around how they're applying those rules. So if you're like me, and didn't learn those rules very well to start with, it's rather hard. But if you get yourself a solid foundation, it's really not that bad.

DON'T PULL ALL-NIGHTERS (a given anyway)

I actually got an A- on the first test by studying all night before...

But the next one I failed completely. (along with the whole class average ;))

I'm gonna have to retake this class again.
JUST READ, READ, READ, and do problems over and over!!
I just read through the lecture notes because I was a dumb@ss and got a C in the class.

Don't rely on the class curve and just practice a lot until it's almost second hand to you.
PEACE and good luck!!:thumbup:

The key thing with Ochem is to have a SOLID foundation, because most all reactions in Ochem rely on only a few simple rules, and they're just changing around how they're applying those rules. So if you're like me, and didn't learn those rules very well to start with, it's rather hard. But if you get yourself a solid foundation, it's really not that bad.

yes. you must know the foundations and properties of elements. valence electrons, etc. KNOW HOW ELECTRONS MOVE and you will master organic chemistry.

I actually thought gen chem was harder than o-chem. O-chem is just a lot of work but it isn't very difficult. Most people above me have the right idea about o-chem.

There's no middle ground with ochem - you'll either think it's really easy or really hard. I have 4 pieces of advice for ochem:

1) prepare to spend a lot of time on the class. Due to its reputation, I put more time and effort into the class than any other science class, and it ended up being my best class.

2) know all the reactions backwards and forwards. It's not just about memorizing the reactions - you also need to be able to apply them in new situations.

3) Get both of the Organic Chemistry as a 2nd language books. I didn't read any of my textbook and just used these books and my class notes.

4) if you start to struggle, hire a tutor. you don't want to fall behind

If you think memorizing rxns for O chem is hard, wait till you get to biochem. Memorizing the structure, name, three letter code for every AA sucks as well as every starting/ending product, enzyme, and cofactor for glycolysis and the Krebs cycle. Or how about the derivation of the Michaelis Menten equation. Those are just a few of the things we had to memorize. Oh that class sucked.

If you think memorizing rxns for O chem is hard, wait till you get to biochem. Memorizing the structure, name, three letter code for every AA sucks as well as every starting/ending product, enzyme, and cofactor for glycolysis and the Krebs cycle. Or how about the derivation of the Michaelis Menten equation. Those are just a few of the things we had to memorize. Oh that class sucked.

yeh but it is still basically like organic chemistry, especially the rxns. know how the functional groups react and you're golden.

I You're right, it's a pretty wild course, but if you stay on top of the reading and not let it bother you that your professor is an amazing scientist but a lousy teacher, you'll do well.

I agree with this. I think the thing is, a lot of people generally learn only in class and do little to no work outside of class and can get away with it. It's not that this is hard, it's just that there's a lot of material, and you have to put the time in.

I failed the first two tests and had to drop out the first time I took Ochem I cause I put almost no time into the class (still not sure what I was thinking)

Came back and studied really hard - Got an A in Ochem I and B in Ochem II. It ended up being one of my best sections on the DAT because I put the time in to learn it.

It's not a class of memorization, it's a class of concepts. Stay on top of everything, never get behind. If you don't understand something, ask until you do.