1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

organic chemistry

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jaboy, Jun 14, 2002.

1. jaboy

jaboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have not completed o-chem yet and I was wondering what is important to remember from General Chem. It's been like 5 years since I took general chem and I wanted to refresh my knowledge this summer. For efficiency, what is important to know?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1. Acid/Base is very important
    2. Properties of C,O,N,H, and halides
    3. Cations and Anions
    4. Stereochemistry
    5. Bonding

4. jot

jot

Kinetics and thermodynamics is essential as far as theory goes, calculations a little less so. The best stuff to know if you really want to understand o-chem at a deaper level is the molecular orbital theory, HOMO LUMO stuff, and as much intro p-chem stuff they feed you in gen chem which is either a little or a lot depending on your prof/institution. Though there is not much that is really requisite for orgo, you will remember things better, not have to resort to rote memorization, and perhaps even enjoy the course if you understand it on a deeper level. Probably help with the 'cats as well. goodluck.
    -jot

5. jaboy

jaboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't remember much about molecular theory...so I'm going to be busy

6. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The first 5 chapters of my O-chem book were all review of concepts we learned in Gen Chem. I suspect most books are like that.

7. Hendooneh

Hendooneh Member
    7+ Year Member

I went into the MCAT feeling I didn't know any O Chem but I walked out with a 15 on the bio section. My recommendation to you that instead of trying to memorize details focus on the generalities of O chem. Find yourself rules that will help you figure out answers even if you don't know anything about that particular reaction.