1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Organic Chemistry

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by solid snake, Aug 19, 2002.

1. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I will be starting Organic soon. I was just wondering how much Organic is emphasized on the MCAT. Since we have to take both parts of Organic, do they emphasize more on what you learn in the first half, second half, or both?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. epignathus

epignathus Junior Member

First of all AAMC is changing the content of the Biological Sciences section for all forthcomming administration of the MCAT. They will be taking alot of orgo out of this section and replacing it with genetic problems. I'm guessing it will be about 70% bio and genetics and 30% orgo. I just took the Aug test and the Orgo was, I thought, more 2nd semeter orgo. I had an entire passage on the Wittig rxn which is definitely second semester. Another passage was on peptide bonds and protein chemistry which we didn't even get to in my orgo class. There was, of course, a good deal of 1st semeter orgo. I remember some cataltytic hydogention and some ozonolysis problems. Also expect and H NMR problem. This was the first topic we covered in Orgo 2 so I'm sure some orgo classes might cover this in Orgo 1. In any case know H NMR before taking the MCAT.

4. conure

conure Master Distiller
    7+ Year Member

The MCAT loves oxygen containing compounds and their reactions, this is second semester orgo.

That being said, organic chemistry is by nature cumulative. You will use concepts on your last day of second semester that you learned in the second and third weeks of first semester. Thus you must know all of it.

MCAT orgo is not that bad.