organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcat333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i plan on taking the mcat this summer, but i have never taken a course in ochem. i was wondering what is the best book i could use to study the subject independently. i'm taking the princeton course, but the review of ochem is insufficient because i lack too much background knowledge. i realize that this may be a challenge, but i'd really like to take the mcat this summer, so any textbook or other recommendations would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

i plan on taking the mcat this summer, but i have never taken a course in ochem. i was wondering what is the best book i could use to study the subject independently. i'm taking the princeton course, but the review of ochem is insufficient because i lack too much background knowledge. i realize that this may be a challenge, but i'd really like to take the mcat this summer, so any textbook or other recommendations would be appreciated. :)

is there a reason you are rushing to take the MCAT? ochem is pretty tough to just sum up in a nice lil review session. if you want to actually understand it you really have to go in depth and work hard at it.... it takes a lot of time and effort. the good news that there really isnt that much Ochem on the test...i think it slike 20% of the BS section....so yea not too bad.

that being said, i have no expereince with any other textbook than the one i used for class....but it was really good. i pretty much taught it to my self by readin git and doing all the examples and problems. be sure to buy the solutions manual though, it is vital.

Its by L. G. Wade Jur. and it was the 6th edition. you can get it online for cheap. hope that helps.

is there a reason you are rushing to take the MCAT? ochem is pretty tough to just sum up in a nice lil review session. if you want to actually understand it you really have to go in depth and work hard at it.... it takes a lot of time and effort. the good news that there really isnt that much Ochem on the test...i think it slike 20% of the BS section....so yea not too bad.

that being said, i have no expereince with any other textbook than the one i used for class....but it was really good. i pretty much taught it to my self by readin git and doing all the examples and problems. be sure to buy the solutions manual though, it is vital.

Its by L. G. Wade Jur. and it was the 6th edition. you can get it online for cheap. hope that helps.

imho, i think the chemistries (ochem and gchem) are the only two classes you really need to take for the mcat. so yes, i would highly recommend waiting. physics is really really basic (they twist it up so it gets tough) and the bio can be easily self-studied. but the chemistries seem really hard to self study (especially ochem)