Organic emphasis recent MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orrghead16

decimals and dollars
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the apparent reduction of Organic on the BS in recent MCATs, what has the concept emphasis been? If there are only a few questions, what is the topic concentration. It seems on the AAMCs solubility/separation (I.e. would this compound be soluble in HCl/NaOH, etc), spectroscopy, and a handful of reactions are fairly common. It is just so hard to concentrate on such a broad subject, ESPECIALLY when there are only a few questions on the real deal. Consequently, I need to figure out where I need to focus on in the last week to close the most likely holes in Organic.

Organic is really what is pulling my BS score down. I would be ecstatic if I didn't get any organic passages and only a few discretes!!!! Have there been any "for sure" organic questions that will likely pop up on recent/upcoming MCATs, despite the decreasing emphasis?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I had 1 NMR (very basic 1H nmr); 1 IUPAC nomenclature (also very basic); 1 solubility; and maybe one synthesis question involving which reagents would be best to turn reactant X into product Y.

I think I had 1 NMR (very basic 1H nmr); 1 IUPAC nomenclature (also very basic); 1 solubility; and maybe one synthesis question involving which reagents would be best to turn reactant X into product Y.

tell me your kidding? 4 questions? I personally want more. I prefer orgo to biology but it seems the trend is against me!

That would be sooooooooo BA! I hope that happens, and it really sounds more like the theme than the exception during recent previous administrations.

Members don't see this ad :)
tell me your kidding? 4 questions? I personally want more. I prefer orgo to biology but it seems the trend is against me!

Most would disagree with you. I rarely ever miss a bio question but orgo haha thats a different story. My last kaplan was like 29/30 bio and 14/22 orgo.

Most would disagree with you. I rarely ever miss a bio question but orgo haha thats a different story. My last kaplan was like 29/30 bio and 14/22 orgo.

Oh I find Bio easier to study and get through, but I never do as well on the questions - I find them tricky - just always been the case for me. For bio, its the typical "i get it down to 2 choices" thing and choose the wrong one alot! Looks like i better go back to that and change the way i am looking at these questions. And here i was hoping for a ton of orgo! Damn!

thanks
sv3

In the June of '08 when i took the mcat for the first time it seemed to be more biochemistry/orgo related.

about people getting three passages sometimes so i studied the section harder. Not sure if it still happens but I'll prepare for it anyway. The MCAT is already ruining my life, might as well keep on trucking as I'm numb to the pain now........

The MCAT on 01 May 09 had 3 organic chemistry passages and discrete questions. So don't ignore this section unless you are an expert in ochem or have a lot of money, in which case you can void the ones that have many Ochem questions.

Took the MCAT earlier in April. Had ZERO organic passages. Instead they were spread out in the discrete sections. Also, in case you were curious, for the most part, all the orgo that has been dropped has been replaced by genetics. AAMC has cited as genetics as an increasingly important concept to be tested and has made the test to reflect that.

Personally, I love that move. Learn the H-H equation and know your way around inheritable diseases and you've learned 80% of it.