Quantcast

Organic freshmen year :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cudder

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So I decided to take AP credits for Chem and was placed into Organic first semester of freshmen year. It's not looking so good right now, although the final exam grades haven't been posted yet. At best, I probably finished with a C+. I also ended up in Calc II and will most likely finish with C+/C. To top it off, I got a C in a elective and a B in my freshmen writing class. Looking at a ~2.5 gpa (15credits) for my first semester. Although I can honestly say that I did not study as much as I wanted to, I believe that I could have done better had I had a second chance. Was it a big mistake taking such difficult courses in my first semester and is there any chance at recovery??

wahoo2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether it was a mistake or not, you can't do anything but move on. Yes.

lrkoehle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided to take AP credits for Chem and was placed into Organic first semester of freshmen year. It's not looking so good right now, although the final exam grades haven't been posted yet. At best, I probably finished with a C+. I also ended up in Calc II and will most likely finish with C+/C. To top it off, I got a C in a elective and a B in my freshmen writing class. Looking at a ~2.5 gpa (15credits) for my first semester. Although I can honestly say that I did not study as much as I wanted to, I believe that I could have done better had I had a second chance. Was it a big mistake taking such difficult courses in my first semester and is there any chance at recovery??

Definitely sounds like a mistake on your part. College is a big adjustment for a lot of people, and a really heavy course-load right off the bat is hard. With that said, you are not screwed. It is only your first semester, but you are certainly facing an uphill battle. Consider taking an easier schedule next semester, and get straight A's. Whatever you do, do NOT continue getting bad grades the next couple of semesters or you will be screwed. good luck!

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bit ahead of yourself, there. But never fear. You still have plenty of time to get your GPA back up. You will have to get excellent grades from here on out. I would take Orgo II next semester simply because it's probably easier to do it right after Orgo I, but I would suggest that you let that be your only tough course. BE SURE you spend your time more wisely next semester!!

TexasPrincess

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a mistake on your part. College is a big adjustment for a lot of people, and a really heavy course-load right off the bat is hard. With that said, you are not screwed. It is only your first semester, but you are certainly facing an uphill battle. Consider taking an easier schedule next semester, and get straight A's. Whatever you do, do NOT continue getting bad grades the next couple of semesters or you will be screwed. good luck!

The advantage of placing out of many classes is that you walk in with hours and sometimes gpa points. My advice is to take a couple of 12 hour semesters and light summer classes (in addition to research) instead of 15 or more hours in order to allow you time to study more in your classes. Also, check around before you sign up to hear who are the good professors. For me, that made all the difference. I also suggest completing one elective every semester, as well, so you have something fun to do and less stress. My favorite classes in undergrad were Art History and Existentialism.

More tips:
When it comes down to it, you have to learn to study and do whatever it takes to make an A. Figure out how you can improve. That might mean Pre-reading, reviewing notes immediately after class. Doing your hw right away, forming study groups, going to office hours, getting extra books to help you, and sitting in the front of the class.

Good luck!

ps. You are luck you took orgo first semester because you can move onto exciting upper division classes sooner. I hear Biochem is a good class to take.

afugazzi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to make you feel worse...but you should check a random sample of med schools to see how many accept AP chemistry.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to make you feel worse...but you should check a random sample of med schools to see how many accept AP chemistry.
Yeah, I thought most med schools don't accept AP credit for Pre-reqs.

Beta Cell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats why I took all the prereqs and I had AP chem, bio and calc.

The rule of thumb is that you can substitute the courses with higher-level classes of the same type (ie Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, Analytical, and Physical Chemistry all substitute for AP Chemistry). However, I would recommend to anyone to at least take the second semester of chemistry at their school before moving on to organic chemistry simply to get a feel for what chemistry is like at the collegiate level.

CapnCrunch

You've been Crunchitized!
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is that you can substitute the courses with higher-level classes of the same type (ie Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, Analytical, and Physical Chemistry all substitute for AP Chemistry). However, I would recommend to anyone to at least take the second semester of chemistry at their school before moving on to organic chemistry simply to get a feel for what chemistry is like at the collegiate level.

I've heard the same. OP, in my opinion, did make a mistake. Although he/she has a chance to rectify it, it will be a big set back. Take it seriously from here on out.

cudder

Reaction score
just to provide background info....I am the first in my family to go to college and hence did not have many people to talk to about this. I inquired with my health professions office at my college and they strongly advised me to take my AP credits and hence, I did. Had I known that this would've happened, I would definitely have not taken their advice. However, thank you for the feedback, it definitely puts things into perspective.