Organic II & MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

FlushingNemo

Anyone taken Organic II (lecture + lab) while studying for the MCAT? Was it really hectic learning the Organic II material for the first time while prepping for the MCAT? Would you rather have had all your pre-reqs done the semester before and just spent the spring semester concentrating on the MCAT?

My options are:

Option #1
Spring '05
Physiology + Physics II (lecture & lab)

Fall '05
Organic I (lecture + lab)

Spring '06
Organic II (lecture + lab)
MCAT prep on the side

Option #2
Spring '05
Physiology + Physics II (lecture + lab) + Organic I (lecture & lab)

Fall '05
Organic II (lecture & lab)

Spring '06
MCAT prep

Which would you pick? Which have you done?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably go with option 2, but that's because I'd want everything done ASAP. It also depends on if you can handle three heavy-hitting sciences at the same time. Just look at the MCAT as another science class - not two or three combined.

i took physics II, organic II, and MCATs all last spring... trust me, it sucked hiney.

There was a ton of physics II stuff on the 'cats (my parents STILL refer to them as the "med-cats" it's funny!!), not so much organic.

Members don't see this ad :)
last spring while i was studying for the mcat, i was taking ochem II and had never taken physics II (i was able to place out of it, but that doesnt mean i knew any of it).

learning the physics on my own was pretty challenging at times, but the simultaneous ochem proved not be a problem at all.

CoverMe said:
i took physics II, organic II, and MCATs all last spring... trust me, it sucked hiney.

There was a ton of physics II stuff on the 'cats (my parents STILL refer to them as the "med-cats" it's funny!!), not so much organic.

Your parents do that too? It must be a baby boomer thing, cuz mine do the same thing. Or maybe it's just colloquial, like how some of my friends from other schools call organic chemistry "orgo," & I've just picked up "ochem" from my classmates.

Then again, I'm pretty new to the term "the 'cats." :)
:luck:

FlushingNemo said:
Anyone taken Organic II (lecture + lab) while studying for the MCAT? Was it really hectic learning the Organic II material for the first time while prepping for the MCAT? Would you rather have had all your pre-reqs done the semester before and just spent the spring semester concentrating on the MCAT?
(clip)

Everyone I've every known that took physics and ochem at the same time came out of that semester a shell of their former selves. Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that would brag otherwise (...and did it while helping old ladies across the street, uphill both ways, in the snow... and got a 42 MCAT at the same time!).

I've known lots of people who took Physics 2 or Ochem 2 while studying for the MCAT. Besides, if you check out the AAMC page on BS topics, they've taken out a LOT of ochem stuff that's primarily covered in the second part of the course anyways. So, if you get Ochem1 out of the way and feel competent in it, you can likely count on being prepared for the MCAT while taking ochem 2.

Focus on physics the year that you will write the MCAT. Also take a physiology course that is a year long (or 2 courses which make up a year). A 1/2 year course is not good enough.

I took ochem II (w/lab) while studying for the MCAT in April and it wasn't a big deal. Actually, because I had organic II and it goes into much more detail than the MCAT requires, I did not have to study for organic at all for the MCAT (because it was obviously fresh in my mind)--so I was killing two birds w/one stone. Just something to consider! :idea:

Good luck :thumbup:

-tx

FlushingNemo said:

There seems to be some space for restructuring of courses in the schedule as it relates to adding classes there.You maybe working full time that could be limiting the # of classes you take.

I work 60-80 hrs/wk full time with a Q1 on call rotation for a full week (24x7) every month, 2 grad classes and 1 bio with 4 hours volunteering at a Level I trauma in the ER. I'll be done with grad classes this December and can focus on taking more of the premed core science classes. It's just that being up all night with the pager going off then going into work, then class kinda gets, uhm... let's see ... tough :)
I'm still able to pull of A's in all my classes but that means making every minute count during the day (which reminds me I should go back to the books)

Unless you plan to pick the A&P topics up on your own, taking the A&P I & II classes is what I'm going to do. Due to the course content and the breadth of topic coverage on the MCAT, either I'll also have to take Micro & Genetics or learn them on my own. Still undecided on that, but for the most part, I'm in somewhat of the same boat as you are.

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks,
-Y_Marker