Organic II now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seals44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As it stands, the only pre-reqs I have left are organic II and physics II. My overall GPA is fine (3.7), but my sGPA is low (3.54) and I'm a humanities major. I was planning on taking the two remaining pre-reqs this semester, and then spending all summer studying for the MCAT, taking the exam in late August of 2014.

However, there was a recent change-up of organic chemistry professors, and now the only options are complete worse case scenarios - the kind of professors where even getting a B requires an absolute miracle. I don't think my sGPA can really handle that kind of hit.

The summer session organic professors are both excellent, but I don't see taking a class like that and studying for the MCAT at the same time would really be a smart idea. Additionally, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing MCAT studying during the fall semester. Thoughts?

EDIT: One idea I just came up with is to delay Ochem II until the summer, but study for the MCAT some during this spring semester. I could study something like verbal reasoning and biology. I would then be able to only have to focus heavily on physics and general chemistry in my MCAT review. I'm not sure whether I would lose the benefit of having studied bio and verbal if it's 8 months before the MCAT though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you graduating? Why not take Orgo II next year? You don't have to take all the courses before you apply, just before you matriculated. I am a huge supporter of waiting until the right professor is teaching the course, a great instructor can really make your experience while a crummy instructor will break it.

Edit: take the MCAT over the summer, no better time to study! you won't be crippled by not having taken the second Orgo by the time you take your MCAT.

Are you graduating? Why not take Orgo II next year? You don't have to take all the courses before you apply, just before you matriculated. I am a huge supporter of waiting until the right professor is teaching the course, a great instructor can really make your experience while a crummy instructor will break it.

Edit: take the MCAT over the summer, no better time to study! you won't be crippled by not having taken the second Orgo by the time you take your MCAT.

No, I am currently a sophomore. However, I'm trying to take the old MCAT so late summer is my only real option when it comes to test dates (that gives me the final January 2015 date for a retake should it ever come to that).

Is it really a common opinion that taking the MCAT before having taken orgo II is okay? I was under the impression that should, at a bare minimum, take all of the prereqs.

Good to know! Thats the only pre-req I will be missing :)