1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Organic MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by vnicolas, Aug 11, 2011.

1. vnicolas

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am planning to take the mcat in Jan. I am starting to studying now and I will reread everything in Dec. But I notice that I will not have enough time to reread organic, but I will listen to EK Audio Osmosis tapes Organic Chem, do you think it will be enough, I have taken O-Chem 1 and 2 and got A's but my O-Chem 2 class the professor did not teach organic mechanisms and real O-Chem 2 material in addition I have not taken O-chem lab, at my school there is no O-Chem 1 and 2 lab it is just O-chem lab (combines 1 and 2) that is 2 credits.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vnicolas

Bump. I just to know is it necessary to review orgo for the MCAT, most people state it is only like 10 percent or less of the test.

4. Slev

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I wouldn't risk it by not reviewing orgo... yes, there has been a trend towards less orgo in recent exams, but that is no guarantee that you won't get a test that is orgo heavy.

It seems like you have a lot of time left before your MCAT (4-5 months). Why do you think you won't have time to review orgo?

5. vnicolas

My study plan
    Aug-bio
    Sept-orgo
    Oct-Gen chem
    Nov-Physics
    Dec-Jan Take a week to review each subject( I was going to omit O-chem to have more time for physics, bio and gen chem my weak subjects.
    rest of Jan--AAMC practice test

6. Slev

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I think you'll find you'll get through topics faster than 1 a month. I'd fit some amount of orgo in there somehow. If you really don't have time for it, I'd recommend at least getting a copy of the TPRH Science Workbook and working your way through the orgo problems in there. I thought the TPRH Science Workbook was the single best resource I had for mcat prep.

7. L1BS

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it is that smart to take 4 months off from bio before jumping into full lengths. I think it would be better to re-schedule yourself so you work through all of the subjects each week that way you won't burn out on a particular subject by the end of the month and will keep everything fresh. If I were you I would break it up and work through bio on Mon, physics Tues... you get the idea.

Not saying that the MCAT is easy but the orgo material the MCAT tests is pretty basic and is convered in the first semester. In 4 months you should have plenty of time to flip through a review book and brush up. Good luck!

8. macsta

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    TERRIBLE study plan. Don't take huge breaks in between sections. I would do only one chapter from a section each day and each day study a different subject. Take a look at other people's (35+) study plan...

9. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't omit ochem. You have enough time.