Organic/NMR help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

chacem

Hey,
I was wondering if any of your books do a really good job of explaining NMR, or if you used any resources that really helped when learning it.
I have Volhardt, and it seems to be an extremely dense and confusing section of the book.
Thanks!
chace

Members don't see this ad.

chacem said:
Hey,
I was wondering if any of your books do a really good job of explaining NMR, or if you used any resources that really helped when learning it.
I have Volhardt, and it seems to be an extremely dense and confusing section of the book.
Thanks!
chace

bump!

I have McMurrary "Organic Chemistry" and I think he did a good job. I also think my lab manual "Organic Chemistry: A Microscale Approach" has a good section on spectroscopy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will we be tested on NMR for the MCAT? I also have McMurry and i think its ok

moto_za said:
I only remember IR and the answer was always a carbonyl group @ 1600-1700. Hmm...at least that was always MY answer. I did take the f-er twice.

Maitland Jones does a good job in his book too

moto_za said:

yes u will, i had a few, not just one.

I would have to second that vote for McMurray. The edition (1999) I had does a good job. Schore does a decent job too. MCAT prep books also provide barebones basics on how to do NMR/IR, etc.

For the most part, I found all that NMR/IR stuff to be free points on the MCAT. They're relatively easy to do...so I wouldn't stress too much about MCAT.

GO TRY TO GET FRANCIS CAREY'S ORGANIC CHEMISTRY BOOK FROM THE LIBRARY!! This book has an awesome section on NMR and is just a great book in general. It's so much easier to understand if you can get a nice prof or TA to sit down with you and explain it

gdbaby said:
I only remember IR and the answer was always a carbonyl group @ 1600-1700. Hmm...at least that was always MY answer. I did take the f-er twice.

either the carbonyl or an alcohol is always on the MCAT :laugh:

Anyway - McMurray does a pretty good job of explaining it.

Nikki2002 said:
GO TRY TO GET FRANCIS CAREY'S ORGANIC CHEMISTRY BOOK FROM THE LIBRARY!! This book has an awesome section on NMR and is just a great book in general. It's so much easier to understand if you can get a nice prof or TA to sit down with you and explain it

I'll second that. I didn't understand NMR until our discussion prof told us you just have to look for 3 things 1)Shifting, 2)splitting, and least important 3)integral. (If you have a TA or prof to explain how those relate to NMR. Once you understand them NMR becomes much simplier.)