Organic stuff...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBravesgirl

Surgeon for a year
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys..i took the april mcat and don't remember there being THAT much challenging stuff in regards to organic...just simple "know if it's markovnikov or anti-markovnikov" stuff, as well as some sn1/sn2 distinctions.....but i'm really nervous b/c i don't have all the michael/dieckmann/other weird condensation reactions memorized. are you guys concerned about these weirder ones?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm learning the aldol & claisen condensations. i think you need to learn those for sure. i am not learning all the other tricky reactions (maybe will learn a couple) -- just don't have time. most of the time they put them in the passages anyway.

excellent, that's what i was planning on doing. anyone else freaking out about organic though???

i have reserved the organic section as an automatic minus 20 pts at least. i got through organic by memorizing stupid tricks, a tactic that doesn't work on the mcat, and i'm trying to nail the bio to compensate for organic.

they'll only expect you to know the basic reactions - the more obscure ones may be on there but they'll probably also be explained in a passage.