SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

organic synthesis reactions

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by 113zami, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 113zami

113zami 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2007

the reactant is benzyl alcohol, the wierd symbol is a benzene ring

so i am trying to find the products to these 2 reactions:

for 1st one,I think there will be no reaction since the closest reaction I found in my text book involving alcohol and Cu is
    2ndary alcohol+CuO--->ketone

for the 2nd one
    ROH + HCN--->RCN
    RCN+ H2O--->primary amide(RCONH2)
    primary amide(RCONH2) + NH3--->No reaction

am I correct?? :confused:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. harrygt

harrygt 2+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2008
    I have no idea about the first one. Cu is a reducing agent, and that benzylic alcohol can't get reduced more than that. [Not sure anyway]

The second one:

after first step: we have Ph-CH2-CN

second step (hydrolysis of the nitrile) : you get ph-CH2-CO2H [2-phenylethanoic acid]. Remember: the hydrolysis of nitrles gives an amide which is subsequently hydrolized to carboxylic acid. It means you can't really stop the hydrolysis at the step of the production of the amide.

Third step: The reaction of the carboxylic acid and NH3 will give you this amide Ph-CH2-CONH2

DRHOYA 2+ Year Member

May 15, 2008

I was reading this thread. I like your explanation for the second rxn. That helped me alot. It seems pretty simple once you see enough of these. The first one though.....i'm lost in the dark. Btw, after the second step you have ph-CH2-CO2H.....that CO2H is a C=O with an OH also on the C for a carboxylic acid right???? I just want to make sure its not actual CO2 lol.
  5. harrygt

harrygt 2+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Yes of course. RCO2H is the symbol for carboxylic acids. Then you have an amine reacting with the carboxylic acid to form the amide.