1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Organizations and Clubs

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by uwannacapachino, Sep 7, 2014.

1. uwannacapachino

Pre-Dental
    I'm new to SDN so I'm honestly not sure if this question has already been asked...

I'm a freshman looking to go into dentistry. I'm interested in joining the pre-dental organization at my university and plan to be pretty involved with it. However, I'm afraid that at the end of next year or the beginning of my junior year, I might decide that dentistry isn't for me and switch to pharmacy or optometry or something like that. Would it look bad that I wasted two years on an organization that has nothing to do with what I want to pursue? Should I join, say, the pre-dental organization as well as the pre-pharm or pre-opto organizations? Or should I stick to a more general organization like HOSA and maybe join the specific one later?

I really have no idea what to do and don't want to join a club and end up deciding on something else if that's going to hurt me in some way. Help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jeffity

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I suppose you could also end up in engineering with that much uncertainty in the air. No one will care about it as much as you think as long as you're sincere in your reasons for choosing the field of [insert whatever here]. I'd suggest using your time to shadow many careers so you aren't just 'wasting' time in clubs that might just be fleeting interests.

4. csudental

csudental Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    nope join other health clubs that's will make you more competitive

5. .

#4 SXCoronado, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  6. trangtn

5+ Year Member

Join a clinic or do some hands-on internships or some community service organizations. Pre-health orgs are generally informative, but beyond that, they don't really give you much.

7. distressstudent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Be sure to join a club that actually have opportunities for volunteering and what not. Many of them just sit on their hands and host informational meetings.

8. uwannacapachino

Pre-Dental
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I definitely need to consider shadowing or doing an internship more than joining an organization. And I will look into the opportunities that the clubs offer and see if it would be a good idea to join beforehand.

Thanks again!