Eagleye2

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, incoming sophomore and was wondering how some of you guys keep track of your shadowing volunteering etc. Do you use excel? or basically write all the details in a Microsoft word document? Just looking for some ideas to keep organized, at the moment I just have all the hours and important info about location etc. in a word document but is confusing and feels unofficial to me. Thanks

mcatjelly

Meow
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Spreadsheet worked fine for me!

I also found premed.me around the time I was applying; they have an application tool where you can log your hours and add notes/buzz words to each activity. Worth checking out.

May 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
libreoffice is great if you don't want to give microsoft money.

Jun 6, 2015
A spreadsheet is fine for tracking hours, but you may want to journal what you learned/experienced. This will come in handy when writing your personal statement and secondaries come application season.

Reactions: mcatjelly

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
I use openoffice as my free word alternative

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, incoming sophomore and was wondering how some of you guys keep track of your shadowing volunteering etc. Do you use excel? or basically write all the details in a Microsoft word document? Just looking for some ideas to keep organized, at the moment I just have all the hours and important info about location etc. in a word document but is confusing and feels unofficial to me. Thanks
For volunteering, I just save every letter I get from each hospital. I store those letters in a special folder. For shadowing, I would use excel.

doctork10

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I keep a pre-med "journal" where I write down any unique/memorable experiences from volunteering in the ER and shadowing different physicians. I also have an excel spreadsheet going where I tally up all of the hours as well as keep track of the specific dates.