Orgo 1 retake after Orgo 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrcrawfor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C in Organic 1 (and an A in the lab) and now am in Organic 2 with an A... I really understand it now but was clueless in Organic 1 because of a prof who didn't teach just expected you to figure it out.

so now i ask... should i go back and retake organic chemistry one cuz I know i can get an A.

My BCPM is 3.2 (should be 3.35 after this semester) so it would help that... my other bad grades both C's came in Gen Chem 2 and calculus when I was in a car wreck and in physical therapy so there is a reason...

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd move on. If you can get an A in Ochem 2 then that should be sufficiant to prove you know O Chem. If anything its a story to tell at your interview. Just get that GPA up and try not to get any more C's

thanks- my overall GPA is much higher and my BCPM will be going up cuz I am to the point that I can take more science and pull it up faster (I only had like 7 science before this semester!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you allowed to do that? I know at my university if you progress in the series you cannot retake for some classes.

yes you can- they really don't care at my school...you can't take classes without pre-reqs but you can always go back.

I'd say you've already proved yourself by getting an A in organic II, going back and retaking it will just be a waste of time. ADCOMs like to see you move on and do better in upper-level classes. Good luck.

I got a C in Organic 1 (and an A in the lab) and now am in Organic 2 with an A... I really understand it now but was clueless in Organic 1 because of a prof who didn't teach just expected you to figure it out.

so now i ask... should i go back and retake organic chemistry one cuz I know i can get an A.

My BCPM is 3.2 (should be 3.35 after this semester) so it would help that... my other bad grades both C's came in Gen Chem 2 and calculus when I was in a car wreck and in physical therapy so there is a reason...

thanks in advance!

if you have time, you should definitely retake the class and get A in it......

thanks in advance!

I had a crappy O1 teacher. I completed O1 without knowing what a nucleophile was. She was a bad teacher but easy, thus leaving me with a B in O1. I got to O2 and was hit by a truck, w/a 41 on the second test (which was actually the mean, C). I withdrew, took a W, and retook 1 over the summer. Took II in the fall and breezed through it, so now my Organic record is spotless.

I was never asked about it and I dont think anyone will frown on you if you do it. It is your life and if you want to retake a class (my University allows three classes to have grades replaced) the go right ahead. Just remember that AMCAS will average your grades for those so A+C = B when calc'ing your GPA.

With regards to the O2 overshadowing O1 because its more 'advanced', I believe there is some credibility. I think its more apparent in say Intro Bio to taking a Cell bio, genetics or physiology. O1/O2 are in the same sequence, but the extent of the overshadowing is less than that than say taking "advanced organic reactions" or something in the 4 and 500 level. Personally I wouldnt want a C on my record.