Orgo 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droidrazr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently discovered my passion and love for medicine and starting to take the per-requisites the following semester. I am a junior and have only taken General Chemistry I. During the spring semester, only Organic Chemistry II is offered at my school and Organic Chemistry I is only recommended before continuing to the next level but not required. I am also taking Intro to Bio I and General Chemistry II this semester. I've read the basics of Organic Chemistry I online throughout winter break (enjoyed the material) but not sure if I should take Organic Chemistry II along with the courses mentioned this spring semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Ochem is the one class you should absolutely not take out of sequence.

I wouldn't recommend it. The concepts that you learn in Orgo I are carried throughout Orgo II, I'm just starting Orgo II now and I can't imagine going into it with no background from Orgo I.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your Ochem II class will probably encompass more than just the basics of Ochem I stuff. You might know some of the stuff, but you're going to have a seriously tough time in Ochem II if you decide to take that first.

Definitely agree with this. OP, do not take the chance. You need Orgo I to understand the concepts in Orgo II

+1

That class builds on itself so much that I could not imagine being comfortable taking orgo II without the first sequence.

Unless you are going to extensively study orgo I on your own so that you have the knowledge needed to to do well in orgo II then I wouldn't recommend it. And even then.. It's hard to scarf down that much material when school is probably starting in 1-2 weeks for most people so I agree that its not a good idea.

Definitely agree with this. OP, do not take the chance. You need Orgo I to understand the concepts in Orgo II

This is definitely true. But you might try to do it anyways, so I suggest getting yourself a tutor and the book Organic Chemistry as a Foreign Language (first and second semester topics). Best of luck.

What's the rush?! I did Orgo 1 in a summer program without Gen Chem; it was challenging! (good thing it wasn't regular school work). Do yourself a favor and wait to take Orgo 1 before Orgo 2 (perhaps, you have other classes to take till Orgo 1 is made available). Unless you have been studying Orgo 1 since kindergarten:), don't be in a rush and regret your decision later.

Or to save time because you're a junior, you can take Orgo 1 during the summer at a different college, then take Orgo 2 this Fall semester. The credits should be transferable. Before taking the summer option, it might be a good idea to confirm with your school office to see if credits will be accepted. Good luck.

Last edited:
Or to save time because you're a junior, you can take Orgo 1 during the summer at a different college, then take Orgo 2 this Fall semester. The credits should be transferable. Before taking the summer option, it might be a good idea to confirm with your school office to see if credits will be accepted. Good luck.

If you take the class during summer, make sure it isn't online (probably obvious). The above approach may not work. In your OP you said that your school didn't offer Orgo I in the Spring, so they probably won't offer Orgo II in the Fall. Postpone it, and just make sure you fit Biochem in down the line. :thumbup:

Most of the schools I applied to required a full year of Orgo anyway. Wait. Take Orgo 1 and get an A. Then take Orgo II and get a second A. Don't risk a stressful, failing semester.