1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

orgo+biochem-question for admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by reed0104, Nov 9, 1999.

1. reed0104

reed0104 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Can a quarter of biochem be substituted for one of orgo if your school didn't offer 3 quarters of orgo? If anybody knows specifcally for KCOM and Des Moines, it would be very helpful.

Thanks again,

Bryan

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Are you on the semester system? Not offering a year of Orgo is unorthodox and I would be shocked to hear that your school doesn't offer it!

------------------
    AZCOM
    -class of '04

4. reed0104

reed0104 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

We are on the semester system now, but not last year. I attend the U of Minnesota. The requirments for med school up here were two quarters of orgo and a quarter of biochem (strongly recommened). The quarters (vs semesters) really screwed us up because they only offered two quarters of gen. chem too. So I have to sign up this winter semester for gen chem 2, of which I've already had 3/4th's of the material as the 2 quarters were designed to be comprehensive and cover all MCAT material, which they did. I took the mcat in august. Anybody know about these requirments/conversions for med school?

Thanks a ton,

Bryan

5. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The answer for you is simple:
    Call the schools.
    The scenario you have described is VERY MUCH a special case. You should explain this to the school (just pick one) and see what they say. If they go for it call all the schools you are or plan on applying to. Every school has it's own requirements and I firmly believe you have a case to be understood as an exception. This is provided I understand that you took these AFTER the switch from semester system. If they were semester courses they count as 1.5 quarters each on your AACOMAS and don't sweat it. I assume this is the case since it is fully illogical to switch two semesters of Chem to 3 quarters then only offer 2 of them???? Keep me posted!

6. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am absolutely positive that I have seen it written in some DO school manuals that "a (quarter/semester) of biochemistry may be substituted for Organic Chemistry." I can't remember which one(s). If I find them, I'll post them.