Orgo II or Physics II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you said, Ochem II an Physics II are very important for the MCAT. If I were you, I would take both classes and least amount of other credits possible(especially with the Kaplan course). I don't know your exact situation, but that's what I would do.

Otherwise, I would take PhysicsII. OChem II is more of a continuation of OChem I, but Physics II is a completely different topic (Mechanics vs Electricity and Magnetism). At least, that's the way it is at my school.

Hope this helps!

Unless you are good at self-study, taking the MCAT without taking both of those courses would be somewhat foolhardy. But if you must take one, I would take Physics II since as the previous poster said, the topics are completely different from the first semester. From what I remember of the MCAT, the organic chemistry concepts that were tested were relatively basic. The test didn't really go into a lot of the more complicated reactions like ozonolysis or stuff like that. There's a free exam here if you're interested in seeing what the exam is like: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/85158/orderingpracticetests_mcat.html

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take both courses if at all possible. If it can't be done it can't be done, but really you shouldn't be taking the exam before finish ALL of the pre-reqs. That said, I don't think one or the other will really help more: you'll have to wait and see until you take your exam to make that judgment.

Well I think I'm just going to take both of these courses. But I will cut back on the amount of credits I take to make it around 12. Is that going to hurt when I apply for medical schools, because I know they prefer you take an average of 15 credits a semester. Also I will be continuing my medical and non-medical volunteering next semester along with shadowing different physicians. Would this be too much since I am taking the MCAT prep course and difficult classes at the same time?

Is it going to be too much? You're the only one that could possibly know that. I continued all of my ECs, took a full load of courses, and still did well on everything when I was studying for the MCAT. On the other hand, I knew people who dropped everything, took a highly reduced course load, and still didn't do all that well on the MCAT or in their courses. It all depends on your diligence, discipline, and motivation.

I highly, highly doubt that one semester of a reduced load will mean much of anything as long as you do well.

Well I think I'm just going to take both of these courses. But I will cut back on the amount of credits I take to make it around 12. Is that going to hurt when I apply for medical schools, because I know they prefer you take an average of 15 credits a semester. Also I will be continuing my medical and non-medical volunteering next semester along with shadowing different physicians. Would this be too much since I am taking the MCAT prep course and difficult classes at the same time?

Like Nick said, only you can know how disciplined you are. Can you force yourself to study even when you would rather sleep? I have no idea. But the course load is not unreasonable at all. Should be more than doable.