Orgo in summer at community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laddertomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just wanted your opinion, so if i dont want to take a gap year i need to take organic chemistry over the summer. My scholarship and financial aid does not apply over the summer and there is only one class offering at the university, at hcc the fee is manageable and the offerings are multiple where i can also work as a certified nurse aide as well. I will be able to take orgo 2 at the university and hopefully will prove to the medical school that i am not taking an easy route, it is only a financial reason for orgo 1 and also so i can work as well, the offering for the university is in the afternoon and my shifts wont be able to accommodate with that, thanks all criticism is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What about just the lab at a community college over summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i need orgo 1 lecture as a pre req for biochem which is why i need to take it as fast as possible, and i need to take biochem for the mcats for next year

i think i need orgo 1 lecture as a pre req for biochem which is why i need to take it as fast as possible, and i need to take biochem for the mcats for next year
First of all-it's MCAT. Also , I'm pretty sure its orgo II that's the pre req, but I may be wrong.

In my school the pre req for biochem is orgo 1

Reactions: 1 user
What about just the lab at a community college over summer?

Not sure if this is universal or not, but at my CC the lab and lecture come in a package so we have to take lecture and lab at the same time

My main concern is that the class might not be rigorous enough to prepare you for OChem2 or Biochem at your university, and might hurt you on the MCAT. I'm taking OChem2 right now at a community college to fulfill pre-matriculation requirements, and it's such a joke that I feel bad for the other students in the class who are actually trying to get an education. I know CC's are hit or miss and there are probably some good ones out there, but there's a reason medical schools tend to turn their nose up at them...