Orgo Lab/Credit Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

photogrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed most MD schools wants 8 credits of Orgo. Does this include labs?

I will have 8 credits of Orgo after this summer is over, but it does NOT include Orgo 2 Lab. Do I really need it for most MD schools? My Orgo I lecture was 4 credits, with lab being 2....Orgo II is 3 credits...that puts me at 9 credits. DO I really need to take the darned Orgo II lab if I already, technically, have the 8 mandatory Orgo credits?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should take the 2nd lab. I believe the garden-variety ochem requirement is one year of lecture with labs, and you'd find exceptions to this, of course. Baylor requires a year with labs, and briefly flipping through the MSAR, the rest of the Texas schools do as well.

I'm in that 2nd o-chem lab and it's fun. I've had a miserable time in o-chem lecture all year, but this lab makes up for a lot of it. Identifying unknowns is like detective work, and stuff changes color a lot.

Best of luck to you.

In my state (not Texas) the website requirements read '2 semesters of Orgainic chemistry with lab' (there is no plural on the lab). Students at my large public university are counseled that they do not need a second semester of lab by the pre-med advisor who used to be on the admissions committee of one of our state medical schools. I can't speak for Texas, but to avoid unnecessary suffering, why not call a few of the schools and ask your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked this in the mentor forum, actually. For example at my school, there is Orgo I being 4 credits, Orgo II being 4 credits, and neither have an attached lab. There is one Organic chemistry lab course, which can be taken with either as a co-req, or after either with them acting as pre-requisites. There is no O-chem I lab or O-chem II lab. It would not be a problem (obviously, since my school graduates a lot of premeds that get into med school annually) to take just one lab as long as you have enough credits (in my case, it would be 10 credits of Organic Chem w/ lab).

For what its worth, I am not a TX resident, and do not know if I will be one by the time I apply to MD school. (Long, long story but I simply don't meet the criteria and probably won't be able to.) I'm technically still a WI resident. I am looking at schools all across the country however.

I think I will take the 'call 'em up' advice and give a few of the schools on my list a jingle.

Thanks! :D

I have a question related to Chem/other science classes and corresponding labs. For the AMCAS application when we have to list our classes as BCPM or AO, can we choose not to list a class as BCPM or does AMCAS automatically do that for you?

I have a question related to Chem/other science classes and corresponding labs. For the AMCAS application when we have to list our classes as BCPM or AO, can we choose not to list a class as BCPM or does AMCAS automatically do that for you?

Well you don't list it just as BCPM or AO, you list it as bio, chemistry, physics, etc. If you list it incorrectly, they'll just end up not verifying it because of inconsistencies. So I would suggest you list it as what it is.

I actually have a related question...
-Most schools I am looking at applying to require 1 full year of organic chemistry and one full year of lab. I have taken ochem 1 &2, however my school only offers organic chem lab 1 (which is a 6hr/week 3 credit course). My advisor said that the schools should just "know" that this 3 credit course is the equivalent to a whole year of lab, but is there any other way I can clarify that in their eyes?

but is there any other way I can clarify that in their eyes?

Mention it in your PS.

Seriously though, just call the ADCOMs.