1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

orgo on mcat

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by giggledesi, Apr 28, 2004.

1. giggledesi

giggledesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi I am taking planning to take the MCATS next april after i take orgo... but i was planning to take an mcat class this summer... just to get a feel for what i am doing. how much orgo is on the mcat. will a class be any use? thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not much really. I reviewed orgo the least.
    1) You just have to know all about sn1, sn2, e1, e2, and of course nucleophiles and electrophiles
    2) nomencleture
    3) Sugars- epimers, alpha, anomeric carbon, etc (may have had this in biochem)
    4) isomers: stereoisomers, diastereomers, enantiomers, structural, constitutional, etc
    5) oxidation/reduction
    6) know how to follow arrows and electron movement
    7) all the review material that used included hybridization in organic, although I did this first semester of general chemistry, so I will include it here since every one else does.

These were the main things that seemed to show up repetively on each practice exam and on the real thing. Really simple compared to actual organic class. You could try going through EKs or Kaplans organic review, although I feel they definately go overboard with it.

4. oudoc08

oudoc08 Please pass the gas...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is a fair bit of Orgo in the biology section, though there has been a shift towards genetics in the last year. Most is Org. I, though there is some Org. II, (aldol condsensation rx, NMR spectroscopy, etc.)

A review class would be fine, just understand that you won't get the full benefit out of it without having had the required classes prior. (A review class is in no way a subsitute for the actual class, especially in Organic chemistry)

5. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with some of both of the above posts.
    I found that you could find repetiton in similar questions on the various AAMC practice tests. I think that you'll have to have a decent handle on carbonyl chemistry, nomenclature, and concepts of reactivity and electron movement. NMR should be superficially understood for some easy points. I didn't see much orgo I - AAMC has removed a lot of the benzene and alkene chemistry from the test.

Good luck with it.

dc

6. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    to be honest with you...the MCAT does not have much of organic chem.

This april's MCAT had only 2 organic chem passages...versus 7 bio.

7. Nuel

10+ Year Member

To the OP, you could be shocked. If someone told me that on an MCAT I would get 8 physics passages and 3 gen chem flustered with a more than regular amount of calculations, I woulda called them liars.
    In the same vein, don't be shocked if you get 7 Orgo passages and 4 in bio. It looks improbable but prepare for the worst. I wish I did. Now August keeps haunting me. Till June mate.

8. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

It all depends on where you sit on that day (what form you get). From there, you might get 70% Orgo / 30 % Bio or you might get 10% Orgo / 90% Bio (genetics) like I did.... there is no way to tell which it will be.