Orgo.&Physics together PLEASE HELP!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sadeeq_19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a sophomore biolgoy major. And i still haven't taken Organic Chem. and Physics. Is it possible to take both at the same? Is there anybody who too both at the same time and got atleast a B+?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can take both and still make a decent grade. You'll just have to make sure your third class is EXTREMELY easy and won't require a lot of your study time (ie...don't take a class that would require you to write a bunch of papers). Organic is very intense, as I'm sure you've gathered, and the labs are fairly time consuming as well. Most schools require you to keep a scientific notebook of your experiments and then write reports about them...same for physics. Between the lectures and the labs, you'll have a very full plate. Good luck.

I took Orgo and physics together my Junior year, in addition to cell bio and genetics, and nearly had a nervous breakdown. i think that's only because I took myself and the premed process too seriously. I did get all A's that semester but I had to work very hard.

If possible, learn some orgo and physics during the summer to get an advantage. And study, study, study, from the very beginning of the semester. DO NOT fall behind, and unlike me, have your other courses be more fun and less intense. If you have trouble with any of these classes have a tutor from the very beginning. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Orgo and Physics together as a Sophomore along with two math courses and one of my core requirements. I should've just given up then, but I kept on truckin' and pulled out fine. You will too -- it just takes time and krazy glue to plant that rear end in a chair.

Good luck!

Tim of New York City.

Thanks everyone for your help. I plan to take Orgo and Physics with Art history and Developmental Biology and Anthropolgy & A/P the second semester..

biggrin.gif
I did a Post Bac...and my last semester...I took Orgo II, Orgo Lab, Physics II w/lab, Biochemistry, and Kaplan MCAT class as well as the April MCAT...It was HARDCORE....but it is possible...STAY FOCUSED!!!!

------------------
Healthy Mind...Healthy Body

I'd be REAL careful about taking Organic, Physics AND Developmental Bio together! Depending on the teacher (mine was a bear!) Developmental can be VERY, VERY hard / time consuming (the material isn't that hard, but it's a lot of memorization stuff)! The art history would be fine, but I'm thinking you're WAY overdoing it by trying to take 5 classes at once! Remember, at least 3 of those classes have labs...and usually labs take more time to study for than the lectures do! In other words, even if you drop Anthropology, you're still looking at SEVEN classes with the load you're about to take. That can be suicidal, and it won't leave you ANY time for extracurriculars / volunteering (just as important as grades!) You might want to reconsider....

cobragirl,

thanks for your concern. I won't be taking all those classes in the same semester. I'll take Orgo I,Physics I,Develop.Bio., and Art history the first semester. orgII,physicsII,a&p,and anthropology the second semester..thank you all.

I am currently taking: Organic, Physics, Genetics, and a Psych class. I screwed up the first exam in orgo, but came back to be one point short of an A on the second exam. I still have one more midterm & the final, hopefully i can pull it up to an A!
smile.gif
Physics isn't too bad, if you are good with formulas and the like, i hope to get an A in the class as well (I am doing fairly well with the curve, and my recetation grade is awesome) Genetics is a tough class, but I'm doing alright with it. Last week I had all three midterms, and I got an A on one, a very high B+ on one, and probably a B+ on the other.

As long as you are willing to work hard at it, you should do fine, it takes a lot of studying, but it can be done
smile.gif

My next semester is Orgo 2, Orgo 2 lab, Physical Chemistry, genetics & lab, organismal physiology & lab, and physics III & lab, no joke (20 cred total).

So quit your whining, and just be confident that there's no task too difficult.

Limit,
I admire your tenacity in attacking such a difficult course load but you're going to have an awful time getting to class when you're chained to your desk like that!!
smile.gif

PS- You may want to get your prescription of Valium now....you're going to need it!

[This message has been edited by Cobragirl (edited 11-21-2000).]

The key is to stay focused. If you believe you can do it, then you can do it!! Goodluck!! I think I'll be ending up with a B+ in Organic 1. I have a tough teacher, but I'm learning the material

You can do it!! I took organic, physics, physics lab, organic lab, p-chem, 4th semester spanish, and latin/greek class together and ended up with all a's, except for organic, in which i got an 86%. However, I hardly got any sleep at all that semester (second semester sophomore year). Just make sure that you have your head on straight and are willing to commit to studying. If you can, though, I would take as few "hard" classes as possible with them. Hope this helps ya!!!! GOOD LUCK!

------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Thanx every1. Now, i feel like i can take 20 hrs of science(i don't think i'm as smart as LIMIT,HAHA), but i'm not going to.

lol. It wasn't just a rash decision that I made, it was well thought out over the summer, and the whole purpose is MCAT preparation... instead of taking prep courses, I'll let my vigorous schedule prepare me, and once class is over in May or so, I can study june/july for the august exam (just a sophomore now).

I also know exactly who my professors will be, I know the gradings systems, teaching styles and whether or not I can handle it.
If you don't know those things, 20 hrs of anything isn't a good idea... although english isn't my native language so sciences are much easier for me than humanities.

Good luck.

Hey Limit,

Where are you originally from? And what state do you go to school now?

originally? ukraine.
in new york now.

dude, you'll be fine
be disciplined
tons of people have done it and have done great.

there are great obstacles ahead!

Originally posted by limit:
lol. the whole purpose is MCAT preparation... instead of taking prep courses, I'll let my vigorous schedule prepare me, and once class is over in May or so, I can study june/july for the august exam (just a sophomore now).

english isn't my native language so sciences are much easier for me than humanities.

limit,
I wouldn't count on your schedule preparing you. Knowing the materials is only a minor (in my opinion) portion of preparing for the MCAT. Review courses help you out by getting you used to the test format. Also I know humanities are more difficult for you, but they might be the most beneficial for you. Verbal Reasoning kills a lot of med school hopes, and I can only assume it would be more difficult with English as a second language. You might want to consider ditching one (or two) of those science classes in favor of a class that develops your reading skills.

layne20,
What's a latin/greek class? I'm a classics major and we take the languages separate from each other. Are you actually in a class that teaches greek and latin simultaneously?

------------------
Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
-Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

[This message has been edited by Hercules (edited 11-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hercules (edited 11-28-2000).]

Yes, last semester I had a classics class called "building english vocab through latin and greek elements." it wasn't actually learning the two languages; it was just learning the bases, prefixes, etc, to help better understand english, especially medical terminology.