1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

orgo reactions question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MSc44, Jul 31, 2006.

1. I have heard from a few people, not to bother knowing where all the electrond go or where they bump around. but rather just know the out comes of the reactions for MCAT.

what do you guys think????
    is it a waste of time to go through mechanisms as i had to do in orgo class in UG. Since im looking to save time should i just really memororize reastions and products

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know. I have read threads where people say not to worry about mechanisms. On the other hand, I have seen MCAT questions (AAMC) where then ask mechanism related questions. One that comes to mind is an acyl substitution in acidic solution. To get the question right, you had to know that the carbonyl Oxygen is hydrated at the first step.

You are not likely to be asked about Hoffman rearrangement and diazyl salt mechanisms, but I'd know the easier ones for the MCAT.