M

MSc44

I have heard from a few people, not to bother knowing where all the electrond go or where they bump around. but rather just know the out comes of the reactions for MCAT.

what do you guys think????
is it a waste of time to go through mechanisms as i had to do in orgo class in UG. Since im looking to save time should i just really memororize reastions and products

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
MSc44 said:
I have heard from a few people, not to bother knowing where all the electrond go or where they bump around. but rather just know the out comes of the reactions for MCAT.

what do you guys think????
is it a waste of time to go through mechanisms as i had to do in orgo class in UG. Since im looking to save time should i just really memororize reastions and products
I don't know. I have read threads where people say not to worry about mechanisms. On the other hand, I have seen MCAT questions (AAMC) where then ask mechanism related questions. One that comes to mind is an acyl substitution in acidic solution. To get the question right, you had to know that the carbonyl Oxygen is hydrated at the first step.

You are not likely to be asked about Hoffman rearrangement and diazyl salt mechanisms, but I'd know the easier ones for the MCAT.

About the Ads