1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Orientation

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by D.R.HiFlo, Dec 5, 2005.

1. D.R.HiFlo

D.R.HiFlo Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I will need to be out of the country for the last week of June. Has anyone heard of someone skipping the orientation for incoming R1s? I understand that some programs use this week to recert for ACLS. I could get this out of the way before I travel.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not a good idea. You'll receive all the last minute details you'll need to stay afloat for the first couple of days including computer codes, ID badge, insurance information, hospital orientation, schedules, etc. at orientation usually. ACLS is usually a good time for you to meet your fellow residents as well and start forming a support network.

Change your travel plans and attend orientation.

4. forncroj

forncroj Osteopathic Physician, COM Faculty
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Very bad idea. There is, in addition to residency specific stuff, mandated activities that might include sexual harrassment 'training', drug screening, HIPPA training, risk management, signing up for health insurance and other benefits, whatever computer orientation and training your institution requires (could be extensive), and so on. Hopefully you have finished your move, obtained utilities, telephone, and all that stuff before orientation.

If I was the new program director, I'd be very unhappy about this, and the thought of voiding the contract might come to mind (not sure if I'd go through with it) as you will very likely be unprepared to start on time.

If your travel plans can be changed, I'd start now.

jf

5. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Many programs actually have the R1's starting their rotations by June 20-25, so it is a very bad time to be out of town. Unless you can get vacation your first week of internship -- but I would think that most programs would not want you to do that.

6. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

I don't think you'll even be given an option of missing the activities, and even asking may fill the PD will all sorts of trepidation and regret. You've been working all your life for your first job as a physician... shouldn't you show up?