Orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.R.HiFlo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will need to be out of the country for the last week of June. Has anyone heard of someone skipping the orientation for incoming R1s? I understand that some programs use this week to recert for ACLS. I could get this out of the way before I travel.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a good idea. You'll receive all the last minute details you'll need to stay afloat for the first couple of days including computer codes, ID badge, insurance information, hospital orientation, schedules, etc. at orientation usually. ACLS is usually a good time for you to meet your fellow residents as well and start forming a support network.

Change your travel plans and attend orientation.

D.R.HiFlo said:
I will need to be out of the country for the last week of June. Has anyone heard of someone skipping the orientation for incoming R1s? I understand that some programs use this week to recert for ACLS. I could get this out of the way before I travel.
Very bad idea. There is, in addition to residency specific stuff, mandated activities that might include sexual harrassment 'training', drug screening, HIPPA training, risk management, signing up for health insurance and other benefits, whatever computer orientation and training your institution requires (could be extensive), and so on. Hopefully you have finished your move, obtained utilities, telephone, and all that stuff before orientation.

If I was the new program director, I'd be very unhappy about this, and the thought of voiding the contract might come to mind (not sure if I'd go through with it) as you will very likely be unprepared to start on time.

If your travel plans can be changed, I'd start now.

jf

Members don't see this ad :)
Many programs actually have the R1's starting their rotations by June 20-25, so it is a very bad time to be out of town. Unless you can get vacation your first week of internship -- but I would think that most programs would not want you to do that.

I don't think you'll even be given an option of missing the activities, and even asking may fill the PD will all sorts of trepidation and regret. You've been working all your life for your first job as a physician... shouldn't you show up?