Origin and insertion of a muscle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo,

The origin of m. obliquus externus abdominis is i.a. the ribs and the insertion is i.a. iliac crest. Yet, the function is i.a. to compress the abdomen. Generally, insertion --> origin in terms of movement, but I'm assuming that this is one of the cases where it's vice versa. Am I right on this with respect to the compressing function this muscle has?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you were (are) missing the fact that only the inferior portion inserts on the iliac crest and many of the fibers become an aponeurosis. Contraction between the ribs and linea alba decreases abdominal volume and increases intra-abdominal pressure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you were (are) missing the fact that only the inferior portion inserts on the iliac crest and many of the fibers become an aponeurosis. Contraction between the ribs and linea alba decreases abdominal volume and increases intra-abdominal pressure.
Thanks man,

It's just I've got to learn origin and insertion for every damn muscle so decided to choose those that make sense for the function. Seems like linea alba makes alot more sense than the crista iliaca.

Thanks man,

It's just I've got to learn origin and insertion for every damn muscle so decided to choose those that make sense for the function. Seems like linea alba makes alot more sense than the crista iliaca.

Yah, many things connect to multiple places. In this case only the most inferior fibers insert on the iliac, while the more superior fibers are nearly horizontal and form an aponeurosis.