Origin of Life on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The EK Bio book contains information on the Urey-Miller experiment, coacervates, chordate features.

Did anyone come across this on the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

i would know the human taxonomy

Eukarya, Animalia, Chordata, Vertebrata, Mammalia, Primate, Homindae, Homo, Sapien

i would know what early Earth was like (Reducing enviroment).
i would know how life started. How protobionts used mineral rocks as catalysts. Eventually some protobionts (mainly RNA) were used as enzymes to catalyze bigger reactions. RNA then dictated what was made or not (1st code) Then eventually came a switch to DNA (modern code).

i would know the cladogram for big animal groups:

Amphibians emerged from Osteichthyes(bony fish). Reptiles diverted from amphibians. Birds (aves) then diverted from Reptiles. Finally mammals diverted from reptiles after birds did.

i would also know what all eukarya have in common. (sexual reproduction + 9-2 flagella arangement) I would know what bacteria and archaea have in common (binary fission, no organelles).

and finally, ALL living species use glycolysis. ALL living groups have some species that use oxidative phosphorylation. (which means VIRUSES are not living.)

this is all u need to know.

enjoy