orlando job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gas girl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for jobs in Orlando area--everyone wants crnas. Most places have too many docs. Wish there was a MD only practice.
Looks like we are screwing ourselves. Any ideas what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

If you land one, you can celebrate by letting a pre-med (me) shadow you...gas sounds interesting

Problem with orlando is 2-3 fold.

1. 2 biggest groups essentially using free labor by setting up mom and pop srna training programs. This not only screwing MDs but experienced CRNAs. Both of whom are getting laid off.

2. 3rd largest group sold out to AMC 18 months ago. and one of 2-3 only partners took multi million dollar buyout.

3. Essentially only 2 major hospital systems in orlando. One controls north side (that one doesn't like to eat meat...only veggies and funnels tax exempt status through their church, anesthesia group is pretty much an all boys club if u look at their roster of partners.
Other one controls south side.

There are jobs but many are outpatient and smaller hospitals that are can to be taken over.

It's just not orlando. It's most of Florida.

Don't trust the 2 main players in Tampa either. I don't trust the Jax area either.

Make ur deal with the devil if u want to really be in central Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Problem with orlando is 2-3 fold.

1. 2 biggest groups essentially using free labor by setting up mom and pop srna training programs. This not only screwing MDs but experienced CRNAs. Both of whom are getting laid off.

2. 3rd largest group sold out to AMC 18 months ago. and one of 2-3 only partners took multi million dollar buyout.

3. Essentially only 2 major hospital systems in orlando. One controls north side (that one doesn't like to eat meat...only veggies and funnels tax exempt status through their church, anesthesia group is pretty much an all boys club if u look at their roster of partners.
Other one controls south side.

There are jobs but many are outpatient and smaller hospitals that are can to be taken over.

It's just not orlando. It's most of Florida.

Don't trust the 2 main players in Tampa either. I don't trust the Jax area either.

Make ur deal with the devil if u want to really be in central Florida.

All true. But, there are surgicenter gigs from time to time paying $375-400 1099. That beats Most groups in Tampa and being a Slave in Orlando.

what's malpractice run in Florida? I've heard horror stories, but don't know financial details from anybody that actually works there.

what's malpractice run in Florida? I've heard horror stories, but don't know financial details from anybody that actually works there.

Sheridan and American Anesthesioogy/Mednax are self insured if u are looking at them. Basically they cover everything including tail coverage.

Policies in Palm, Broward, Miami Dade are the highest. The rest of the state is ok.

My premiums for occurrence policy for 250/750k was $13k which isn't bad. But a 1/3 million occurrence policy would set me back about 22-25k a year. In South Florida a 1/3 million occurrence policy runs close to 35k a year. A 250/750k is about $16-18k in south Florida.

Claims made policies are cheaper. Usually run 5-7-10-12-15k with 5 year maturation. Tail is usually 2.5 times your last premium.

Panhandle area has slightly lower premiums (usually $1k less) than rest of state outside of those 3 counties in S Florida.

I have had an eye on the Florida job market for 25 years. During buyer and seller markets, it has always been well below national norms for compensation (slightly less true for North Florida and the middle of the state, ex Orlando). I have maintained contacts with friends from residency who wound up there. Just can't accept the drop in salary or security or malpractice environment.

I have had an eye on the Florida job market for 25 years. During buyer and seller markets, it has always been well below national norms for compensation (slightly less true for North Florida and the middle of the state, ex Orlando). I have maintained contacts with friends from residency who wound up there. Just can't accept the drop in salary or security or malpractice environment.

It all depends on payer mix. Many urban areas of the major cities have payer mixes that are more than 50% private vs Medicare. So don't assume Florida is all old people on Medicare.

Many successful people I know make $$$$ more than what they advertise and what u think.
And they work about 50 hours a week and not killing themselves.

U gotta factor in no state income taxes and general lower cost of living in Florida as well. U can get pretty much a McMansion for around $500k with pool gated community whereas same home would cost u 1.5 million in LA proper or 1.2 million in DC proper. Plus factor in LA's 9-12% state income taxes or DC's Marylands 9-10% income taxes.

But one concern u are correct on is job security. It's the Wild West escoecially with outpatient contracts switching every 2-3 years it seems. Many are unstable.

But one concern u are correct on is job security. It's the Wild West escoecially with outpatient contracts switching every 2-3 years it seems. Many are unstable.

He's also def. right about the legal atmosphere. I am very happy I live in a tort reform state.

Maybe in a few years you can take the "hit" and semi-retire to a nice surgicenter gig in Florida.

Maybe in a few years you can take the "hit" and semi-retire to a nice surgicenter gig in Florida.

getting less adaptable as I get older. Now thinking about going part time in a few years and traveling more in winter.

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup:

Me too man.

That's where I grew up.

I'd love to return.

Sucks down there for the most part from what I gather.

Professionally, I mean.

Can't beat the white sandy beaches on the west coast and the crystal clear salt water tho.

My dream is to have a home on the bayside with a deep water dock.

I'll make it back to Florida someday.:thumbup:

Any updates to the Central Florida Market since this thread last posted almost 6 years ago? Looking to head that way and would like to know what I’d be in for.

Any updates to the Central Florida Market since this thread last posted almost 6 years ago? Looking to head that way and would like to know what I’d be in for.

Jobs are available if you don’t mind working for an amc. I’m near Daytona Beach and have seen Plenty of job listings for anesthesiologists. Feel free to Private msg me if u want specific details on what working for an amc will entail etc. It’s not all doom/gloom and selling your soul to be devil (amc) if you start with your eyes wide open.

What about the malpractice caps that seemed to have been ruled unconstitutional?

Is all of Fl sue happy or just South Fl? Is north Fl malpractice environment better?

Are people in Fl hiding assets or is that a myth?

Is all of Fl sue happy or just South Fl? Is north Fl malpractice environment better?

Florida is truly a tale of 2 states - mostly south of Orlando and Orlando/North. The southern part is mostly snowbirds and refugees from the colder north enjoying the lack of state income tax. As such you’re right on - much more litiginous in the South.

Florida is truly a tale of 2 states - mostly south of Orlando and Orlando/North. The southern part is mostly snowbirds and refugees from the colder north enjoying the lack of state income tax. As such you’re right on - much more litiginous in the South.
Is there any difference between the northern and southern job markets? I would expect both to suck, given the supply/demand imbalance, huge AMC presence, and unfavorable malpractice laws.

Is there any difference between the northern and southern job markets? I would expect both to suck, given the supply/demand imbalance, huge AMC presence, and unfavorable malpractice laws.
Your expectations coincide DIRECTLY with reality.

You're largely right. Florida market overall isn't that great, I looked into moving to Tampa but the practice setups there (mostly Sheridan or whatever millionth rebrand they've had these days) are atrocious.

The longer story is Florida was the poster child for the unfavorable, predatory private practice - especially in southern Florida and Tampa areas. Multi-layer partnerships were common with senior/super/lord partners who worked a minimum and claimed most profits, junior partners, yuppies and non-partners. As those senior partners approached retirement coinciding with the AMC boom... I am sure you can fill in the rest. What remains is the worst of the worst AMC jobs - poor salary, minimum retirement, low vacation and maximum work 60+ hours/week to start. I often tell residents and interviewees to be wary of practices set up like a law firm (are any even left?). From what I understand the practices in Tampa aren't all that much worse these days, but they were pretty awful to start with.

The Orlando market is above average, mix of AMC (which are above average for that crowd) and not. I have several friends there in the same practice, 4 are quite happy and content and 1 left fairly disgruntled moving back to academics. I didn't consider Jacksonville, mostly because I personally didn't like the feel of the city. South Florida isn't exactly my kind of place to settle so I didn't look much. I trained in Florida and it should be telling that only 10 or so stayed in the state (outside of Academics) with the rest scattering elsewhere.

Last point - U Florida has its own set of issues, but one of the unique things about it (being a public employee) is the pretty strong sovereign immunity that comes along with it to protect against malpractice claims. A lot of folks who have had sour experiences with the legal system flock there... some legitimate issues, some BS. But as an academic center they pay far below MGMA (coupled with a pretty low cost of living, which may make it a wash).

OP if you want to know more feel free I'm happy to answer questions via DM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just took a job in tampa at one of the AMCs. Haven't started yet, but everyone that i talked to (about 7-8 attendings) on the interview day seemed happy. Solid starting salary, tons of vacation, "partnership" tract that involves profit sharing. Maybe ill change my tune 6 months into the job, but it doesnt seem as doom and gloom as others have stated. PM me with qs

One of our recent fellows tried 2 jobs in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area. They both sucked, apparently, now coming back to NC.

It is not difficult to shelter unlimited assets against malpractice in Florida. The entire value of a home is sheltered if either the home is on 0.5 acres or less in an incorporated area or 120 acres or less in an unincorporated area. Also tenents in entirety pirchases of boats, cars, and bank accounts are 100% sheltered

-Not recognized in all states.
-Generally only works with spouse.
Neither owns the property individually. They only own it together. So if one spouse has a horrific judgement against them, assets titled in this fashion can’t be attached.
-can be a very effective asset protection tool. IN STATES WHERE IT IS RECOGNIZED.

In Florida, there are special bank accounts that must be opened with both signatories (spouses) at the same time with a "tenants in entirety" designation. Bank of America offers these but Sun Trust does not. In Florida, this is a rock solid defense against malpractice claims. Boats, etc. can all be designated using this legal vehicle but must be so designated at the initial registration with the state. Other states are less friendly using this method of asset protection. If you divorce, then your asset protection method falls apart.

In Florida, there are special bank accounts that must be opened with both signatories (spouses) at the same time with a "tenants in entirety" designation. Bank of America offers these but Sun Trust does not. In Florida, this is a rock solid defense against malpractice claims. Boats, etc. can all be designated using this legal vehicle but must be so designated at the initial registration with the state. Other states are less friendly using this method of asset protection. If you divorce, then your asset protection method falls apart.

Malpractice issues are entirely state dependent and the best advice for one state is usually not applicable to another state.

I knew someone who did just that. Then his wife divorced him and took everything. Guy committed suicide. Be careful doing this.

I knew someone who did just that. Then his wife divorced him and took everything. Guy committed suicide. Be careful doing this.

Well, if everything is joint owned, how does the wife end up with everything? Almost everything?

I hear Fl is a horrible place to get divorced. And anyone who divorces their spouse and takes “everything” from them ought to burn alive forever.

Well, if everything is joint owned, how does the wife end up with everything? Almost everything?

I hear Fl is a horrible place to get divorced. And anyone who divorces their spouse and takes “everything” from them ought to burn alive forever.

If you have a joint account, either person can walk into the bank and withdraw the entire amount at any time since it belongs to them.

If you have a joint account, either person can walk into the bank and withdraw the entire amount at any time since it belongs to them.
Oh, I see. Yup, I got it. There should be some kinda joint signature requirement for money over a certain amount. Banks need to think about that. People need to put those rules in place.

If your lawyer is worth $0.02 you should be able to recover your 1/2 of that money fairly easily.

This is just another proof that marrying the right person should be #1 on everybody's financial/retirement plan.

This is just another proof that marrying the right person should be #1 on everybody's financial/retirement plan.

Or better yet, get a vasectomy and stay single.

Jesus Christ! Do they have kids? If yes, how will the mom explain the dad's death?

People should put alert of any $ transfer move than X amount. Bank provides it for free and send you a txt.

Jesus Christ! Do they have kids? If yes, how will the mom explain the dad's death?

People should put alert of any $ transfer move than X amount. Bank provides it for free and send you a txt.

does getting an alert that somebody just took all the money make you feel better about it in some way? A joint account means the assets are legally owned by both parties and can be taken by either party at any time.

does getting an alert that somebody just took all the money make you feel better about it in some way? A joint account means the assets are legally owned by both parties and can be taken by either party at any time.
It is difficult to wire a lot of money at a time. Often the money is in different accounts (checking, saving, stocks, retirement). Once you know a move in one account, you freeze every other account.

If your lawyer is worth $0.02 you should be able to recover your 1/2 of that money fairly easily.

Depends on the state. And the alimony laws of which in Fl can sometimes be never-ending lifetime alimony. So go to court and fight to get half back and be stuck with possibly alimony for life or let it go and hopefully not be stuck w alimony. In our income bracket that could be more than 100k per year for life.

Either way you are screwed. Not enough to commit suicide for some but helluva enough to think of homicide.

Divorce law is terrible in some states.

It ain’t difficult to go in with a big old purse and withdraw it I bet.

you can simply write yourself a check from a joint account and deposit in a different personal account.