noonie

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Im a student at UCF and I have been searching for places to possibly get research experience. Im wondering if anyone in here has done research in Orlando and where. I cant seem to find anywhere to go.

Also, if anyone has shadowed a doctor in Orlando who was nice, let me know because I have also been searching for doctors to shadow. Also, how did you approach shadowing? Did go directly to the office or should I email first? Do you need to bring transcripts and a resume or do they not care? Thanks to anyone who can help. I know I have a lot of questions.

Beta Cell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Im a student at UCF and I have been searching for places to possibly get research experience. Im wondering if anyone in here has done research in Orlando and where. I cant seem to find anywhere to go.

Also, if anyone has shadowed a doctor in Orlando who was nice, let me know because I have also been searching for doctors to shadow. Also, how did you approach shadowing? Did go directly to the office or should I email first? Do you need to bring transcripts and a resume or do they not care? Thanks to anyone who can help. I know I have a lot of questions.
UCF Medical School would probably be a good start if you're interested in medical research. You can try UCF's chemistry and biology websites if you're interested in that type of research too. A lot of schools post mentors who have expressed an interest in undergraduate researchers. I believe there are some new biotech companies sprouting up now that UCF Medical School has moved in, but I imagine you'd have better look at UCF itself. Finding a mentor is kind of difficult at first, you just have to email professors expressing an interest in their research (maybe attach a resume?). Be genuine about your interest, emphasize your desire to work hard, and if you're early on in your undergraduate career, I would emphasize that too (it's a bonus if you can keep somebody for 2-3 years). Eventually someone will reply to your email. If you're really adamant about a certain lab's research, see if the Principal Investigator has office hours or a secretary who can aid you in making an appointment.