Ortho applications, Letters of rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortho07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb newbie applicant question....

There are many schools that I am applying to for ortho, and a few of them want two letters of recommendation from any faculty members, and one from the Dean of your dental school. Now when sending these through PASS, I know one letter from the Dean has to be the "Institutional Evaluation", does this constitute the letter the schools are looking for?? Or are the schools looking for the Dean to do the "Professional Eval." as well?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

The Dean's letter is the instututional letter. The letters from other faculty would be the professional letters.

Also, be sure to check with the programs as to how they want these. Many of my programs (pedo not ortho) want me to send hard copies of letters directly to them, even though they are already getting evaluations through PASS. In other words, they are ignoring PASS completely.

Well let me show you what I mean. For Tufts Ortho it says

"Recommended Evaluators: Dental School Dean, Department chair, and one of applicant's choice."

So this would imply that I need a letter of rec. from my Dean plus the "Institutional Evaluation"

I have emailed the Deans assistant and she told me that the Dean does not do the PASS Professional Evals, and I dont think he ever has. Should I just get a separate letter of rec, and not do it through the PASS website?

Members don't see this ad :)
ortho07 said:
Well let me show you what I mean. For Tufts Ortho it says

"Recommended Evaluators: Dental School Dean, Department chair, and one of applicant's choice."

So this would imply that I need a letter of rec. from my Dean plus the "Institutional Evaluation"

I have emailed the Deans assistant and she told me that the Dean does not do the PASS Professional Evals, and I dont think he ever has. Should I just get a separate letter of rec, and not do it through the PASS website?

Just get the institutional eval and then give them two or three more, whatever they want otherwise. The letter will read the same from the dean no matter whether it is "institutional" or not.

ortho07 said:

Many deans don't do the letters, but have staff help them. So, it sounds as though you need an institutional letter and then two others. But it also sounds as though the PASS letters won't be good enough--you'll need to have these letters mailed directly to that specific program.