Tony Parker

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I'm a recent grad and going to do GP for a few years. I plan on going back to school to specialize. I've been interested in Ortho and OMFS (kinda krazy lots of blood or zero). My chances of getting into OMFS somewhere will be descent. I've never really thought ortho would be a option b/c it seems like you almost have to walk on water like jesus to get in. Plus two people in the top five of my class didn't get in. Bascially seeing if there's some kinda of path to Ortho for the non-walking on water types out there. Below is my stats. Any advice on a path to ortho would help thanx.

Rank- 15/54
NBDE I- 92
NBDE II-84 (does ortho care about this score, should I re-take it)
Research- No (advice on how to do research while working as a GP)
Extracurricular- Yes

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
Tony Parker said:
I'm a recent grad and going to do GP for a few years. I plan on going back to school to specialize. I've been interested in Ortho and OMFS (kinda krazy lots of blood or zero). My chances of getting into OMFS somewhere will be descent. I've never really thought ortho would be a option b/c it seems like you almost have to walk on water like jesus to get in. Plus two people in the top five of my class didn't get in. Bascially seeing if there's some kinda of path to Ortho for the non-walking on water types out there. Below is my stats. Any advice on a path to ortho would help thanx.

Rank- 15/54
NBDE I- 92
NBDE II-84 (does ortho care about this score, should I re-take it)
Research- No (advice on how to do research while working as a GP)
Extracurricular- Yes
If you like them both the same, do OMS. You are right, you will have a better chance of getting in. Your step 2 will probably keep you from getting ortho, even though most of the other applicants won't even have it yet. If you are near a dental school you might be able to do a small research project. Extracurriculars are really not important.

robf

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2002
Visit site
Status
Jediwendell said:
If you like them both the same, do OMS. You are right, you will have a better chance of getting in. Your step 2 will probably keep you from getting ortho, even though most of the other applicants won't even have it yet. If you are near a dental school you might be able to do a small research project. Extracurriculars are really not important.
Why would his Part 2 keep him from ortho? I thought specialties didn't put much stock into part 2 scores and a mid 80s on part 2 is equal to ~90 on part I?

About the Ads

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
robf said:
Why would his Part 2 keep him from ortho? I thought specialties didn't put much stock into part 2 scores and a mid 80s on part 2 is equal to ~90 on part I?
They typically don't put much stock into it because most applicants haven't taken it prior to applying. In cases where they have taken it, the score still needs to be strong. I don't know what ortho programs would consider a "strong" score to be, though.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
robf said:

They are looking for any reason to dink you, and his scores are borderline on step one (judging from the people I interviewed with). I had a 92 on step 2 and they still grumbled about it, even though a 92 is 97th percentile if you look at the back of my scoresheet. Most directors and faculty don't even know there is a difference in step one and step 2. Plus, you factor in the no research and he/she may have trouble getting interviews.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Jediwendell said:
I had a 92 on step 2 and they still grumbled about it, even though a 92 is 97th percentile if you look at the back of my scoresheet.
That's ridiculous.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
ItsGavinC said:
That's ridiculous.

I concur. BUT, that is what I got when I interviewed. I suppose that somebody didn't interview me because of that, but I KNOW an 84 would be a reason that someone might get dinked for an interview.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Jediwendell said:
I concur. BUT, that is what I got when I interviewed. I suppose that somebody didn't interview me because of that, but I KNOW an 84 would be a reason that someone might get dinked for an interview.
I don't know where the cut off would be, but for frame of reference, I had an 86 on part II and managed to get 14 interviews after graduating from dental school despite it. There may have been schools that dinged me for the sub-90 part II, but I think my part I (93) probably held me back more than part II. I recall visiting an ortho program over the summer and having a professor shake his head sadly when he heard my part I and informed me that they usually invite 95+. Even though 93 - 95 fall into the same percentile on the back of the score report, programs really like to harp on the actual number difference of 2 points - a 95 sounds better than 93, and a 97 sounds even better than a 95, etc.

If anything, a good letter of rec from an ortho big-shot might really help you, if you know any such people (private practice or academic). Your stats are probably borderline but unless you apply, you won't know if you have a chance. Some places like people with experience, so you may stand a little better chance there. If there is a dental school near you, it shouldn't be hard to get involved with some sort of research project if you talk to the residents.

niles19

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Portland Oregon
Status
Attending Physician
griffin04 said:
I don't know where the cut off would be, but for frame of reference, I had an 86 on part II and managed to get 14 interviews after graduating from dental school despite it. There may have been schools that dinged me for the sub-90 part II, but I think my part I (93) probably held me back more than part II. I recall visiting an ortho program over the summer and having a professor shake his head sadly when he heard my part I and informed me that they usually invite 95+. Even though 93 - 95 fall into the same percentile on the back of the score report, programs really like to harp on the actual number difference of 2 points - a 95 sounds better than 93, and a 97 sounds even better than a 95, etc.

If anything, a good letter of rec from an ortho big-shot might really help you, if you know any such people (private practice or academic). Your stats are probably borderline but unless you apply, you won't know if you have a chance. Some places like people with experience, so you may stand a little better chance there. If there is a dental school near you, it shouldn't be hard to get involved with some sort of research project if you talk to the residents.
Griffin04, where did you apply (the ones that gave you the 14 interviews) and what schools do you know of that like people with experience? I am not as competative in the numbers but I have experience and some research under my belt.

-niles19 :)

About the Ads