Ortho Dental Clinic Chains!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tony Parker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a general question for anyone that might have any info. I've been out of dental school for 3 years doing GP. I want to change things up and do ortho so I'm applying for residency I think I have the stuff to make it, hopefully. But since I graduated I've been working with one of these large dental chain companies like Western/Gentle Dental/Newport Dental. I see the ortho guys the company rotates through my clinic and like another 3-4 clinics they visit. When I finish my training I think I would want to work for a chain company for 1-2 years max just for the high case loads and getting alot of experience really fast like I've been getting doing general dentistry for them. I was wondering what the typical pay for these positions in ortho based on 5 days work schedule, I would ask the guys I see but I feel a little uncomfortable asking them about their pay directly. I've seen ranges listed from $150K-$500 for full time work. Huge difference in this range not sure why, I'm trying to get figures for Dental Clinic chains not private practice. I work 3.5 days doing GP for these dental clinic chains and I'm on pace to make around $210K for the year. I would be kinda of bummed going back to school and finding out I'm making less money than I did as a GP. I thought these guys were pulling down like $300K minimum. I plan to stay on the west coast like WA, OR, CA, Nevada, Arizona. If anyone can help please drop some knowledge, thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

You won’t regret doing 2-3 more years of ortho residency.You can send me a private message if you want to know more about the ortho salary.

I would have left Newport Dental a long time ago if they didn’t pay me well. I’ve worked for Newport Dental as an associate orthodontist for almost 7 years. I also worked for Western Dental and SmileCare in the past. Orthodontics is a very low stress job…it doesn’t really matter where you work: a small private office or a large chain office. Chain offices usually pay more.