Ortho Evaluation Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalschool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all those knowing

So I have been looking at programs I am not going to apply this year, just getting my stuff ready for the future. This summer I did some research and I was going to request a letter of rec but on the PASS website it looks like when I apply I need to fill out the evaluators email and they will get an e-mail with an eform to fill out. So getting a letter of rec now and storing it does no good. But then I saw Minnesota for instance will accept straight up letters mailed to them.

Does each program work differently? Like most are in the PASS but some do their own thing? Kind of like Match and Non-match? So if I were applying to say Minnesota and Somewhere else I would fill out the PASS, for all of those schools, and the Evaluator will fill out their e-mail request and they will need to write a hard copy letter of rec and send that directly to the non-pass schools? Or can I collect one letter now and store it and make copies of it for all the non-pass schools and send out copies to all of those?

Getting the Professor to send out individual letters to the Non-Pass schools and fill out one e-form for the PASS program seems like a lot of paperwork and burden on them.

How do people work through this? I wont need the letter for another year, so ask them then or what.

Thank you and good luck to all those applying right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Does each program work differently?
Yes every program is different

Most PASS schools take 2-3 letters from email. SOme programs take extra letters (but they must be hard copies then)

Non-pass schools need orig. signed on back letters from your professor.
I had my professors print/sign them & then I mailed them with my application packet (except some schools require that they come seperately).

I would wait on writing the letter because the early date on the top of the letter would look weird (like you didn't get in the year before) I started asking for my letters on May 1st and gave my professors a three week deadline.

SO in your own words:

Yes, Getting the Professor to send out individual letters to the Non-Pass schools and fill out one e-form for the PASS program seems like a lot of paperwork and burden on them, but they have to do it-it is how it works. THey do it every year.

Hope that helps!