Ortho fellowship at UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ooppop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I wanted to know how helpful a fellowship program is to get into ortho. I applied to ortho twice and did not get in and now my plan is to do fellowship at UNLV - starting in july 08 and apply again this year for ortho program.

Your advice and comments is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I wanted to know how helpful a fellowship program is to get into ortho. I applied to ortho twice and did not get in and now my plan is to do fellowship at UNLV - starting in july 08 and apply again this year for ortho program.

Your advice and comments is appreciated.

So I did some reading and it seems like it COULD be a potentially good thing. I gathered this all from their website. So not sure what I'm adding.

The bad:
  • $20k in tuition
  • Full time --> no other income
  • No hx of taking 'fellows' as residents
  • what is the deal of a 'fellowship' prior to residency? Seems like a silly term....what about INTERN?!

The Good:
  • How could they NOT take you if you were a good worker for that entire year. You will easily walk straight into their clinics and be productive from day 1 of residency....that's worth some cash to the clinic. UNLV ortho is known to be cash strapped.
  • You get to 'find out if ortho is right for you'. but i'm sure that's already decided by the 2 application cycles.
  • Proof to program directors that you're committed to ortho and willing to sacrifice your DDS income for that of tuition-fellow.

thank u for the info.

Now my question was is it going to help me get into anyother ortho program other than UNLV.

It might help with other programs. Hard to say. Ortho admissions can be very unpredictable.

The only thing we've seen on SDN to help for sure in Ortho is to make a 6+ digit contribution to UCLA's program.