ortho interviews worst asked/answered questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuckd303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still checking SDN several times daily and internally going over all of the questions I should have answered better in the interviews. I had several brain fart moments. One student asked if because I was married if I would have a hard time becoming close with the residents who are a tight nit group. My answer was no I don't think it will be a problem. What a lame, downer answer. She shouldn't have asked me a yes/no question. But I don't know if I could have answered worse. Could have said that it would be fun to have residents and their families get together to get to know one another. Could have said I am looking forward to making some friends who I could rely on and effort through the residency together. Could have said that I have several single friends whom I am in close contact. If I don't get in Im afraid it will be for sticking my foot in my mouth. Any one else have some awful questions asked or answered?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi chuckd303,

I personally wouldn't let that one question get to you. I think you got to remember the big picture of the interview day. I'm sure I got stumped on one or two questions, but in my opinion, its more of how you conveyed your answer rather than the answer yourself. If you portrayed a very amiable, jubilant demeanor when going into your interviews and made your best attempt to get to know everybody, I'm sure that one question will not affect you too much. You also got to remember that both you and the program want to see if you are a right fit for them. If it was me, I think I would have phrased that response by stating that I truly want to get to know everybody and I plan on doing that by hosting BBQs at my place. Since I want to have a rewarding ortho residency experience, I want to develop strong relationships with my fellow co-residents and collaborate with each other to strengthen our skills and develop collegiality among the group.

:) No point in beating yourself up over one (lame) question. I would think of it in the sense that you're taking time out of your life to further your education, not to party..you don't need to justify that to anyone..so it is what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
:) No point in beating yourself up over one (lame) question. I would think of it in the sense that you're taking time out of your life to further your education, not to party..you don't need to justify that to anyone..so it is what it is.

ok here's one more from a different program. we noticed you were a fixed prosth. tutor in dental school did you think about doing a fixed prosth. residency. Again it was a yes/no question which I am not a fan of and I answered no. Instead of elaborating to say I really enjoy fixed prosthodontics...So in that sense I have probably considered it but I thing I would enjoy orthodontics more for reasons a., b., c. I know playa is safe and in a program. Susan you are already in a residency correct? Anyone else have some questions that are haunting them?

These kinds of questions are just plain ridiculous. It's like the residents were just looking for something to trip you up. "Did you ever think about doing a Prostho residency" that's just stupid. You are probably better off by not having said that you enjoy fixed prostho bc that probably would've been an immediate strike against you.

Don't feel so bad. At one interview, I was reamed out in fluent German by one of the residents who had spent some time there and was obviously fluent. Because I had put "interest in conversational German" on my resume as a way to indicate I had taken German in HS and college and was interested in it, so they ran with that. Nowhere did the resume say I was fluent. Didn't match there, not surprised.

Interviews are for finding new people to join the clique like we are all back in high school again.

ok here's one more from a different program. we noticed you were a fixed prosth. tutor in dental school did you think about doing a fixed prosth. residency. Again it was a yes/no question which I am not a fan of and I answered no. Instead of elaborating to say I really enjoy fixed prosthodontics...So in that sense I have probably considered it but I thing I would enjoy orthodontics more for reasons a., b., c. I know playa is safe and in a program. Susan you are already in a residency correct? Anyone else have some questions that are haunting them?
I'm rooting for you chuckd...have faith man and keep your head up!:oops:

Play on playa. Thanks for the posts. I am feelin mostly positive. Just thought it would be funny to hear others experiences with poorly asked or answered questions while biding time till match day. The German tongue lashing Gryffindor received must have been something else.

Play on playa. Thanks for the posts. I am feelin mostly positive. Just thought it would be funny to hear others experiences with poorly asked or answered questions while biding time till match day. The German tongue lashing Gryffindor received must have been something else.
Don't worry! There is no wrong answer to any interview question. I would say just %10 of the decision is about the interview. There are lots of factors involved.

What were some of the questions they asked? If you guys remember.

There are a few things to keep in mind during an interview. First, you want to display a confident humility. Second, keep you answers short.

With regards to the confident humility, always listen to the question, maintaining eye contact, and then smile when you answer, maintaining eye contact.

For example, if I were asked your first question (your being married and getting along in an already tight-nit group), then I would answer exactly as you did....with confidence. "No, it shouldn't be a problem" This is not lame at all. And if they pushed on it, then I would say that my marriage is a different relationship to community fellowship and friendships.

The question about fixed prosthodontics tutoring can be easily answered with the truth. It is something you enjoyed doing. You could say, "I really enjoyed the tutoring and helping my colleagues learn, but orthodontics is what interests me the most in dentistry. And I actually learn something better if I have to teach it to someone else. I think I would be a better orthodontist if I have a better understanding of other areas of dentistry.", all the while with a confident smile that you are going to become an orthodontist.

Also, I think the other students usually are thinking about themselves, rather than what is overall beneficial for the program. I suspect that the person who asked you the marriage question perhaps had some issues themselves with that.

Finally, remember that the residents may get a vote, but that it is the faculty that decides.

Questions:
  1. Give an example of a situation in which you helped resolve conflict.
  2. What was the last book that you read?
  3. Give an example of a mistake that you made, and what did you do about it.
My advice:
  1. Go the day or night before and find the exact location where you are supposed to be.
  2. Be 20 minutes early. Make sure you know which time zone you are in.
  3. Look like a banker.
  4. Stand up, shake hands, and say, “How do you do?”
  5. Be sure to know everything you can about the attendings.
  6. Always have 3 questions prepared for the interviewer. You don’t have to use them all. Make them pertinent.
  7. Send a written thank you note to the program director.

Reactions: 2 users
Questions:
  1. Give an example of a situation in which you helped resolve conflict.
  2. What was the last book that you read?
  3. Give an example of a mistake that you made, and what did you do about it.
My advice:
  1. Go the day or night before and find the exact location where you are supposed to be.
  2. Be 20 minutes early. Make sure you know which time zone you are in.
  3. Look like a banker.
  4. Stand up, shake hands, and say, “How do you do?”
  5. Be sure to know everything you can about the attendings.
  6. Always have 3 questions prepared for the interviewer. You don’t have to use them all. Make them pertinent.
  7. Send a written thank you note to the program director.
With everything being virtual this year, how do you suggest making the best impression on the virtual aspect? We can't do handshakes, or really stare in the other person's eyes via zoom hahah

My interview day, I was one of a group of 12 applicants. We all got to socialize the night before at a local pub and then we all had to hang out in a conference room while we waited for our respective interview. Luckily I spoke quite a bit with 3 or 4 of the other applicants and remembered there names, where they were from, etc. So in my interview with the program director, he asked me directly "if you could choose 2 other people here as your classmates, who would they be and why?". Thankfully I had that info available immediately. I didn't have to struggle with names or anything. It made me look like I was very social and inquisitive, but actually it was pure luck.

The funny thing from that interview was that there was a guy interviewing from that same dental school. He came off as kind a know-it-all about the area and the program, just kind of rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I actually wrote "who is this a-hole?!" in my notes next to his name. Turns out that guy got in, along with me, obviously, and he became one of my best friends in my life. I still get a laugh out of that! You just never know.

Reactions: 1 users
Excellent question, Lassy.

Take these with a grain of salt because my only online communications are the virtual planning meetings that I use for implants and orthognathic surgery. And I have never seen anyone on camera for these.
  1. Since you cannot go there the night before, access the online link (if possible) 10 DAYS in advance.
  2. Make sure you internet/3G hookup is sound and without glitches. If you are home using wifi, reboot your router before to diminish capacitance.
  3. Practice #1 and 2 several times starting 10 days before the interview.
  4. If you do use a computer with a router, have a backup ipad with 3G, just in case.
  5. Login to the interview site as soon as it is open the day of the inteview.
  6. You can't look people in the eye, so look at the camera. Don't look around the room.
  7. You should still look like a banker. This includes pants and shoes. If you don't completely dress because you think it won't be seen, you are making the wrong statement.
  8. Practice this, record a video, and watch it back after. Have a mentor watch it and critique it.
  9. Be sure to know everything you can about the attendings.
  10. Always have 3 questions prepared for the interviewer(s). You don’t have to use them all. Make them pertinent.
  11. Send a written thank you note (both paper and via email) to the program director.

Reactions: 3 users