Ortho lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitaminj

FDA Approval Pending
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is it like after you finish residency? Having a family and being a dad is important to me, but i find this area very interesting. From my experience the general surgery lifestyle would put a strain on a family life. Any insights would be apprectiated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If the general surgery lifestyle doesn't seem to be your gig, you aren't going to like the ortho lifestyle either. Better look somewhere else.

That's kindof harsh ortho2003. What are you basing your assesment on?

Bonecutter

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not being harsh...I am being short and to the point. This person said the lifestyle of a general surgeon would be a strain on his family life. In my experience around the hospital, the orthopods tend to put in as many hours as the general surgeons, so I think that would probably be a strain as well.

Personally, I don't think it will be much of a strain for me, but everyone has different ideas. I don't think attendings hours are all that bad. THey are far from banker's hours, but most get at least a half day, if not a full day off a week.

my cousin is an orthopod and he and his partners are done most days around 3, 3:30. they are on call once a week and 1 every 4-5 weekends. can you work like a gen surgeon, of course, but you can make whatever lifestyle you want when your name is on the shingle.

by the way, i have 2 kids and i am married and i plan to do ortho. i think you can make your life what you want in just about any field. just got to decide what's important to you.

my 2 cents. best of luck

well said xeer! There is more to life than being a doc.

Ortho lifestyle is what you make it. You will work just as many hours during training (80 per week) as anyone else (possibly excepting derm) so don't decide based on what you will face as a resident. Once you get out you are free to mold your career around your life.

Bonecutter

I feel the same way. I want to have a life outside of medicine, at the same time I wanna use some awesome tools. Residency will be out of my hands, but life afterwards should be up to me. The way I see it, the more I put in after residency is just for the money. I'm sure as a doc, I'll have enough. I plan on working enough to where I have a balanced life in every aspect.

Some great posts in here about balance its a topic that definetly doesn't get enough discussion, when we are all working so hard it is easy to lose site of what is really important. I have to say I appreciate the quality of the responses!

I was hoping to tease out a little bit more information from you guys, obviously ortho requires a competitive resume with good grades, board scores and such. Now I realize that audition AI's are important but I have another question. Throughout medical school I have been involved with more social and service extracurriculars, and have not had an indepth research experience mostly because of lack of interest, also I didn't become interested in ortho until this year after doing some of my clinical rotations. I know obviously that research is plus but the question remains is no research a minus, considering that I have been involved in other extracurricular activities?

I thank all respones in advance.

anything helps. research is a plus b/c it gives u something to talk @ during interviews that sets you apart. when everyone applying has a 245 step I score and is aoa, anything that makes you different or interesting helps. this includes all extra actv's. read a post from a res. coor. who said numbers are important but did you volunteer for x organization at your school or for x community project? in ortho, like in any competitive specialty, the more stuff you got the more you increase your chances. doesn't mean you won't match into a spot b/c you don't have research...there are plenty of people who do.

Probably the single most important thing you can do to help land a spot in ortho is kick butt on an AI. By kick butt, I don't mean suck up, answer every pimp question, try to make yourself seem superior to everyone else rotating and half the residents. I mean show up early, work hard, never complain about the hours, help out your fellow students and residents when possible and get along with everyone, residents, attendings, scrub techs, and nurses. After that, Step I, AOA, and grades are probably the next most important thing you can do for an application. Research helps, but is not a must. Obviously, high powered academic places will look at it as more important, but it won't kill you.

As ortho1 stated, being well rounded only helps you. I have zero research experience, but like you have multiple community volunteer experiences and hobbies that I made apparent on my personal statement and ERAS app. At my interviews, I was asked about my experiences volunteering as a Big Brother, for Girl Scouts, and coaching a high schoole football team. I also made it clear that I was an avid carpenter and loved working on home improvement projects. Several interviewers asked me about my most recent project, and one even pimped me for about two minutes on the type of air nailers and nails I used for various projects. I have a feeling that this is what helped me match at my top choice. My grades, AOA status, and board scores got the interviews, but my life experiences and ability to carry on a conversation is why I matched.

Good luck.

excellent responses...thank you very much...I wish you all the luck in the world, ortho1 & ortho2003

following vitamin...good info ortho2003 and ortho1...and good luck