**Ortho Match 2007 results**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your Match results here! Good luck to the ortho applicants.

Let us know:

Program you matched to:
# of programs interviewed at:
# of programs ranked on Match list:

Members don't see this ad.

Add stats too please, for those thinking about next year!

what time does the email ususally get sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to everyone in the SDN community. Last year when I matched was one of my happiest moments.

Good luck to Eveyrone.

WOOT! First choice! UNC!!!!

Grats ligature :)

You have a GREAT class joining you this upcoming year.

Gary

Nova (2 unmatched), SUNY-Buffalo (1), and U of Texas-San Antonio (3)

UNC for me!!! Ligature, I guess we're classmates then!!! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Meaning.......?

0 for 3 seems pretty strange for an ortho program. I would think there would be enough people ranking San Antonio to fill at least some spots. Was there a problem submitting the rank list or just bad luck for the program in the big roulette wheel that is the match? Not trying to be derogatory, I interviewed at SA and enjoyed it, so I guess I'm just curious.

I am shocked about San Antonio too. I thought they had a great program with no tuition. What gives? Did anyone interview there that can shed some light about what they didn't like?

They must all be mortified at that school.:eek:

5 program directors in 7 years of existence............no masters and 35 month program.............chairman that is not an orthodontist.

Lots of reasons there.

Can those who got accepted please post their stats too please?

AllthatJazz and Ligature. Congratulations! We look forward to seeing you. As mentioned by my brother you guys and gals have a great class. It will be a lot of fun.

I believe that's two years in a row for Buffalo to have a spot open. And if my memory serves me correctly, Nova had an open spot about three years ago.

These directors/committees ought to a) interview a bigger group and/or b) rank more applicants. This embarrassing situation is preventable.

Matched at U. of Tennessee !!...lovin' life right now

6'7" 380 lbs Bench press: 650 Squat 1080

what is the usual protocol for post-match? do you have to have previously applied to the school for them to consider you? or can you send in an application now? should i contact them?

Matched at University of Michigan:D

5 program directors in 7 years of existence............no masters and 35 month program.............chairman that is not an orthodontist.

Lots of reasons there.

chairman's not at orthodontist??? what is he then???
this must be the 1st time a program didn't even match one spot. i agree what gives???

It is an interesting situation at San Antonio right now, to say the least:). I will try to give those who are interested some form of answer.

I will answer Elefuntman first. Dr. Rugh is a wonderful chairman who just happens to not be an orthodontist. Take a strong look at many chairmen in the country and you will find that they really don't do much orthodontics. Even the ones that do some orthodontics maybe do a half a day a week (10-20%). Dr. Rugh has had some historic grants in his resume. He has also been PI on several new grants and knows the inner workings of a dental school better than just about anybody in the country. The real issue of Dr. Rugh being the chairman is more of an issue of "reputation" than it is a real problem. Certainly if something is different then many folks will try and use this as a method to turn somebody against a particular program.

The current program director, Dr. Pavlin, is a quality individual that cares deeply about the residents and will do anything to help us out. He is concerned as much about how we are doing personally as how we are doing educationally. You won't get that many other places. True, he is the "acting" program director right now, but he is doing a great job and is most likely going to be the permanent director in the end (it is understandable if we are taking our time making a firm commitment considering the high turnover rate mentioned in Elefuntman's post above). While we have had a lot of turnover in this spot, Dr. Pavlin is doing an excellent job and will do so for the foreseeable future.

As for the fellow that didn't like his questions in one of his/her interviews, I don't know what to say. If questions in your interview are the single thing which changes your mind about a program then you are certainly right in not picking that residency. When it comes to the interview you are as much picking the program as they are picking you, and it is very important that you are happy, as you will be there for 2-3 years. That may not seem like a long time but it can be if you are not really happy with your choice.
I know I didn't rank Connecticut when I interviewed specifically because of one of the interviews so I completely understand where you are coming from.

You must keep in mind, however, that some programs are looking for well rounded people who are able to adapt to new situations. It is very difficult to differentiate between the best of the best in orthodontic interviews. It is important that smurfsforsupper knows that everyone at San Antonio hopes that you matched at the place you felt most comfortable and happy. I personally hope that everybody that interviewed with us got in somewhere and that it was their top choice.

Globally, who knows why programs don't match. Maybe it is something specific. Maybe it is just poor luck. Maybe it is a conglomerate of issues. San Antonio will interview again this year and take three residents who will do a good job and everybody will be happy. I certainly think that we have a lot going for us and will stand by what we have. We have a great clinical faculty and a great set of full time faculty. The education is modern and the tuition is right (free). And did I mention that the weather is great?

I hope I addressed everything here. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask or PM me.

Matched at the only program I applied to:thumbup:All the hard works paid off!!!
Dental School: UCLA
Part I: 74 (first try) 77(2nd try)
Extracurriculars: None
Research: None
UCLA Ortho grads: Granps ('55),Dad ('77), uncle ('81)
Donations: '04 ($50K), '05 ($100K), '06 ($500K), '07 ($750K), '08 ($5000*projected)

:D

Matched at the only program I applied to:thumbup:All the hard works paid off!!!
Dental School: UCLA
Part I: 74 (first try) 77(2nd try)
Extracurriculars: None
Research: None
UCLA Ortho grads: Granps ('55),Dad ('77), uncle ('81)
Donations: '04 ($50K), '05 ($100K), '06 ($500K), '07 ($750K), '08 ($5000*projected)

:D

:laugh::laugh: For half a sec there, I thought you pulled a Jediwendell. Man would Indresano be pissed...

It is an interesting situation at San Antonio right now, to say the least:). I will try to give those who are interested some form of answer.

I will answer Elefuntman first. Dr. Rugh is a wonderful chairman who just happens to not be an orthodontist. Take a strong look at many chairmen in the country and you will find that they really don't do much orthodontics. Even the ones that do some orthodontics maybe do a half a day a week (10-20%). Dr. Rugh has had some historic grants in his resume. He has also been PI on several new grants and knows the inner workings of a dental school better than just about anybody in the country. The real issue of Dr. Rugh being the chairman is more of an issue of "reputation" than it is a real problem. Certainly if something is different then many folks will try and use this as a method to turn somebody against a particular program.

The current program director, Dr. Pavlin, is a quality individual that cares deeply about the residents and will do anything to help us out. He is concerned as much about how we are doing personally as how we are doing educationally. You won't get that many other places. True, he is the "acting" program director right now, but he is doing a great job and is most likely going to be the permanent director in the end (it is understandable if we are taking our time making a firm commitment considering the high turnover rate mentioned in Elefuntman's post above). While we have had a lot of turnover in this spot, Dr. Pavlin is doing an excellent job and will do so for the foreseeable future.

As for the fellow that didn't like his questions in one of his/her interviews, I don't know what to say. If questions in your interview are the single thing which changes your mind about a program then you are certainly right in not picking that residency. When it comes to the interview you are as much picking the program as they are picking you, and it is very important that you are happy, as you will be there for 2-3 years. That may not seem like a long time but it can be if you are not really happy with your choice.
I know I didn't rank Connecticut when I interviewed specifically because of one of the interviews so I completely understand where you are coming from.

You must keep in mind, however, that some programs are looking for well rounded people who are able to adapt to new situations. It is very difficult to differentiate between the best of the best in orthodontic interviews. It is important that smurfsforsupper knows that everyone at San Antonio hopes that you matched at the place you felt most comfortable and happy. I personally hope that everybody that interviewed with us got in somewhere and that it was their top choice.

Globally, who knows why programs don't match. Maybe it is something specific. Maybe it is just poor luck. Maybe it is a conglomerate of issues. San Antonio will interview again this year and take three residents who will do a good job and everybody will be happy. I certainly think that we have a lot going for us and will stand by what we have. We have a great clinical faculty and a great set of full time faculty. The education is modern and the tuition is right (free). And did I mention that the weather is great?

I hope I addressed everything here. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask or PM me.

hey best of luck to the program hope u guys get some stability in the form of a permanent program director. 0 for 3 must be tough on the psyche out there.
usually not matching is a result of either not interviewing enough candidates or not ranking enough. how many??

How does post match work, only previous applicants or are new applicants allowed?

i see 12 names on the email invitation they had sent me...

usually not matching is a result of either not interviewing enough candidates or not ranking enough. how many??

when is your san antonio interview? does anyone have any more postmatch interviews?

Congrats to everyone who matched!!!!:)

Attachments

• match results.doc
    40.5 KB · Views: 706
i meant they interviewed 12 people prior to Match, at least according to the email invitation i got (i wasn't able to attend though). sorry for the confusion.

when is your san antonio interview? does anyone have any more postmatch interviews?

Can some of you that matched please post your stats to give those applying next year an idea where we stand? Thanks!

My stats

Top 5 in class
mid 90's on part 1
no research
had 11 interview invites

Be in the top 15%, above 90 on boards, and some research = average applicant