Ortho only GPR - how to approach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainsOut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm halfway through my (European) equivalent of GPR and looking to switch clinics - one of my choices is a program which would comprise solely of orthodontics for the remaining half year.

This looks very tempting. I haven't had a chance to talk over the details but for now I know I would have hands-on training with patients up to 13yo (i.e. those covered by national insurance) and good access to my supervisor who does just about everything else.

In school we learned only theory, patient examination, and treatment planning based on casts, at best had a chance to see removable braces adjusted. I am a little anxious this may not be enough to do well in the clinic at first but that's not a big deal as I would be introduced to the work gradually. My real question is if those six month, (extension possible) would suffice to later work independently as a GP doing orthodontics or with adequate CE and self study switch to orthodontics entirely? How to approach such opportunity to make the most of it?

My other option is to switch to another general dentistry program and then feel more comfortable in private practice.

Again, this looks very promising however I'm anxious if I'll be able to transfer any benefits from the program into my later practice of dentistry.
Any advice appreciated.

More background: GDP is mandatory here, the one I'm leaving turned out to be crappy - very low patient volume and the simplest dentistry you can get. Competition to get into ortho specialization is horrendous - less than 1plc for 100 graduates and it's shady who really gets in. After school I felt comfortable in most areas except molar endo and removable prosthetics (did them well but didnt get a chance to do many).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
. My real question is if those six month, (extension possible) would suffice to later work independently as a GP doing orthodontics or with adequate CE and self study switch to orthodontics entirely? How to approach such opportunity to make the most of it?
My other option is to switch to another general dentistry program and then feel more comfortable in private practice.
More background: GDP is mandatory here, the one I'm leaving turned out to be crappy - very low patient volume and the simplest dentistry you can get. Competition to get into ortho specialization is horrendous - less than 1plc for 100 graduates and it's shady who really gets in. After school I felt comfortable in most areas except molar endo and removable prosthetics (did them well but didnt get a chance to do many).

In a 6 month time period you will only see bits and pieces of ortho. You will start some cases, finish others, but it will be difficult to tie everything together. It sounds like a better experience then your previous GDP. Do you feel comfortable in your skill set to start private practice? If not, Are there other GDP programs where you would gain more experience in general dentistry?