Sep 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Folks,

Somewhat unorthodox case here. I apologize for keeping some things intentionally vague, I work in a small industry and have a fairly recognizable CV. Some things have been intentionally obfuscated. I'm an English major who contemplated medical school but was put off by lack of exposure to other options. Worked full time (40 hours +) throughout undergrad, failed to commit to succeed or finish premed requirements, decided not to continue on premed track halfway through degree. GPA is the result of a poor freshman year, followed by a 4.0, transfer to UMass Amherst, continuing trend of improvement, but still less than 4.0 performance. Graduated in 2014.

As it stands now I am considering my options for postbaccs and Masters programs. I've had contact with about a dozen schools. As can be expected, I've had several flat rejections based on GPA cutoffs. I've also had several positive responses and invitations to visit programs. I'd like to get a firm grasp on my eventual chances of admission to a school after a postbacc (DIY or formal), or masters program, uncluttered by potential influence from advisers who may want to sell spots in a program.

The end game would be admission to an MD or DO school to focus in EM and hyperbarics. I do work in the industry, and with several people doing research in hyperbarics. My time in the field at my various jobs has solidified this as a career that would both interest me, and be a good fit for my skill set. The only hurdle appears to be making up for poor performance in my undergraduate years. Help!

1. GPA: Undergrad cGPA: 2.92 sGPA: 2.28
  2. State of residence: MA
  3. Undergraduate institution or category: Framingham State x 2 years, UMass Amherst x 2 years
  4. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Wilderness EMT, 1 year nursing assistant at rural clinic, 5 years OR assistant at well known Boston teaching hospital, 2 years orthopedics field rep for major brand, 2 years at a non-profit working in public health/first aid training
  5. Research experience and productivity: Food science research project lead - reuse of fishing industry byproduct to create food products. Project culminated in presentation to public.
  6. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: OR experience includes frequent scrubbed in assistance in ortho, neuro, trauma, and gen surg. cases. Also spent time shadowing ED physicians and paramedics.
  7. Non-clinical volunteering: Eagle scout, volunteer for non-profit that teaches scuba diving to college students.
  8. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Licensed USCG captain (ran commercial diving charters), Scuba diving instruction, first-aid instruction, wilderness survival instruction. Assortment of other positions teaching sporting related skills (shooting, climbing, hiking, etc.)

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You could do a DIY post bacc where you take a sufficient number of undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA and cGPA to 3.0. It may take 2 years since you are starting from a low sGPA. You would need a MCAT of at least 500 for DO schools and probably over 512 to have a chance for MD schools.

About the Ads