Ortho Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxchick181

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started dental school, and I'm considering specializing in the future. Can anyone direct me to some statistics for getting accepted into an Ortho program? I'm having trouble finding information on the different schools, number of applicants, etc.

I know it's early to be thinking about post doc, but I go to a really big school and I feel like I have to work crazy hard to distinguish myself. I don't want to just do average and then realize I can't do something later on if I want to. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

U should just aim for ur best.... can't do better than ur best

Be well rounded and get lots of experience. Provide lots of service.

Members don't see this ad :)
this has been discussed quite a bit here...so some searching and you will get an idea.

ASDA makes a book that lists all the specialties and schools. Most schools have a copy on hand.

Protip: Go and set up an appointment with the ortho dept chair to talk about how you are interested in ortho and what you should be doing to make yourself a great applicant. Try to get in on a research project with ortho faculty and show them what a nice person and hard worker you are. Your best shot is at your home dept.

Also, keep your grades up. Read some of my old posts about this topic.

make connections with your ortho faculty. even if they don't want you in their particular program, they tend to know other people in other programs and can help you get in somewhere.

connections > board scores > rank > research > GPA > experience

look at USC for instance... you can buy your way in there

make connections with your ortho faculty. even if they don't want you in their particular program, they tend to know other people in other programs and can help you get in somewhere.

Really!! Ok who do i call?? hehe

disagree.

board scores (which will soon be irrelevant in the current form) > rank / GPA > research > experience/externships >>>>>>> connections.

If you are an excellent applicant (90+ boards, 10% rank, 3.8 GPA) then you will mostly get in somewhere without any connections

however, if you are an "otherwise" applicant (80s boards, less rank and GPA) then connections DO count (especially in Ortho world, but in OMFS the internship program will be the way for you)

I think many programs view board scores as they tend to be more standardized across the nation than rank or GPA. Some schools are P/F and thus don't have rank or GPA.

However board scores are going P/F so they will start to look at things like the GRE more heavily.

Research is important, particularly if you are applying to research heavy schools.

I don't think "connections" are important, but rather "relationships" with various faculty (not just ortho faculty) so you can have good letters of recommendation. As a first year dental student I would focus on doing the best you can in your classes, being well rounded, studying hard, and getting to know your faculty so later when you ask for a letter they can write you a strong one.

Hope this helps.

this has been discussed quite a bit here...so some searching and you will get an idea.

ASDA makes a book that lists all the specialties and schools. Most schools have a copy on hand.

Protip: Go and set up an appointment with the ortho dept chair to talk about how you are interested in ortho and what you should be doing to make yourself a great applicant. Try to get in on a research project with ortho faculty and show them what a nice person and hard worker you are. Your best shot is at your home dept.

Also, keep your grades up. Read some of my old posts about this topic.

thumbs up