Ortho. Surgical Residencies for DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toobs

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it for a DO to get a competitive allopathic orthopedic residency program, considering that I intend to take the USLME if I have to? Are there any PGY1 in ortho. programs or any others that are interested in this field, but has more information? Please reply if you do. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Orthopedics has an unmatch rate of about 16% for US seniors, so it's still very much a tough program to get into.

Osteopathic medical students, unfortunately, have an even tougher time getting a match in MD surgical and surgical subspecialties. This has more to do with allopathic snobbery and perceived inferiority from some in the MD community. Taking the USMLE Step 1 and doing very, very well on it will certainly attract attention, but I can't say for certain if it'll get you in.

An ISOLATED case that I've encountered in my brief career as a medical student is that of an osteopathic MS4 who scored a 236 on the Step 1. He applied to all the ortho programs in New York City (which includes programs such as the Hospital for Special Surgery, the Hospital for Joint Diseases, and lesser known programs, such as that at Catholic Medical Center in Brooklyn) and wasn't offered an interview at even one. He ended up matching to a relatively unknown general surgery program at a community hospital in New York.

This is not meant to discourage you or anyone else from applying to these particular specialties, but the reality of the current state of relations between the osteopathic and allopathic world is one that is not in favor of osteopathic students in surgical subspecialties.

If you really want to be an orthopod, you should take a look at the AOA-approved programs in ortho. Go to www.aoa-net.org/opportunities

Good luck.

Thank you for your response.

Isn't it important not only to do well in the USLME, but also to rotate through any program that you are interested in so that each member of the residency program can have a chance to see who you are as a person?

Also, I saw the match results for NYU Hospital of Joint Disease, and 9 of the 12 PGY1 spots were D.O.s I obtained this info from my school (COMP), and from my research this happens to be one of the more competitive programs.

I'm still certain that there are many programs that are not open to the DOs. Is there any way I can obtain this information?

Thanks again for you help...

Members don't see this ad :)
Eddie - Yes, it can be very helpful to do an externship at the institution you are interested in. In fact, I would highly recommend that you rotate through the programs that you are interested in because Ortho is a difficult match. By the way, I'm positive that 9/12 residents in Orthopedics at NYU are not DOs. Keep in mind that Orthopedics is a difficult match for US MDs as well. Many of the applicants to the field have either solid board scores, are AOA, have connections, attend a prestigious medical school (Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, etc.), or have a combination of the above. Like Tim said, you should also look into the Osteopathic Orthopedic Surgery programs as well as the Allopathic ones. I know of two DOs who went through the Orthopedic Surgery program at UC Davis. Being from CA, you might want to take a look at that program as well.

Originally posted by toobs:

I'm still certain that there are many programs that are not open to the DOs. Is there any way I can obtain this information?

Thanks again for you help...•

Call the residency program directors and ask. Just be candid and say, "Do seriously consider osteopathic candidates with the appropriate board scores, letters of rec, and credentials or should I not waste my time." They'll let you know. Ortho is very competitive but is opening up a little for D.O.'s...at least in the south and in Texas. Also, don't discount AOA ortho programs---there are some good ones!

Originally posted by toobs:
•Isn't it important not only to do well in the USLME, but also to rotate through any program that you are interested in so that each member of the residency program can have a chance to see who you are as a person?•

Yes, an "audition" elective is very important in getting yourself into certain programs.

•Also, I saw the match results for NYU Hospital of Joint Disease, and 9 of the 12 PGY1 spots were D.O.s•

I really, really doubt that those are 9/12 spots at the NYU-HJD program. In fact I doubt 9/12 allopathic ortho spots are filled by DOs at any program. I would check with HJD though, which I think you can do through their website at www.med.nyu.edu and looking for the HJD link.

When I was an undergrad I did a summer "fellowship" in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at NYU Medical Center's Rusk Institute for Rehabilitation Medicine. I know the vast majority of the residents there were DOs, most of whom were from NYCOM, some from CCOM.

•I'm still certain that there are many programs that are not open to the DOs. Is there any way I can obtain this information?•

All allopathic programs regardless of specialty are open to all qualified candidates whether that candidate holds the MD or DO degree. I don't think that any program will tell you they are closed to DOs.

Originally posted by turtleboard:
Osteopathic medical students, unfortunately, have an even tougher time getting a match in MD surgical and surgical subspecialties. This has more to do with allopathic snobbery and perceived inferiority from some in the MD community. Taking the USMLE Step 1 and doing very, very well on it will certainly attract attention, but I can't say for certain if it'll get you in.

Unfortunately, allopathic programs give preference to allopathic students, much the same way fourth year medical students are given preference over IMGs in the match, regardless of board scores.

The best way to try to overcome this is to try to do as many audition electives as possible and hope for the best. Ortho is a difficult speciality to get into as a MD students, much less as a DO student.