Orthodontic redsidents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...For those of u who are currently doing residency in orthodontics, do u get to do any braces work on patients at the dental school? If you do, how do u do it? I mean to say, do u have a professor overseeing the procedure to make sure everything is going OK?

My friend wants to get the braces done at the dental school in san antonio, but she is a little hesitant, because she is not sure how they will do it?

So, I was just curious. Any feed back will be appreciated

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi...For those of u who are currently doing residency in orthodontics, do u get to do any braces work on patients at the dental school? If you do, how do u do it? I mean to say, do u have a professor overseeing the procedure to make sure everything is going OK?

My friend wants to get the braces done at the dental school in san antonio, but she is a little hesitant, because she is not sure how they will do it?

So, I was just curious. Any feed back will be appreciated

Thanks

San Antonio is a great program. She doesn't have anything to worry about. You can ask Jediwendell for specifics he is an orthodontic resident there.

Your friend is perfectly safe. Orthodontic residents are all general dentists that are doing 2-3 years of extra training in orthodontics (braces). Each resident is supervised by a faculty orthodontist. Your friend should not be nervous because he/she will get quality treatment for a cheaper price. The reason it will probably be discounted is the fact that what a patient saves in money he/she may have to pay for it in time; the appointments will be longer because the patient will get checked by the resident and also the faculty in all likelihood.

Bottom line, great treatment, great price, and your helping out the future of orthodontics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would caution against getting braces at a dental school. From my experience, ortho 'redsidents' tend to be the dumber ones around, at most schools. So you should be forewarned. There's nothing worse than a bunch of dummies in room trying to learn how to do braces!

Stay AWAY!!! FAR FAR AWAY!!!:thumbdown:

I would caution against getting braces at a dental school. From my experience, ortho 'redsidents' tend to be the dumber ones around, at most schools. So you should be forewarned. There's nothing worse than a bunch of dummies in room trying to learn how to do braces!

what??? Oh my gosh..I am confused. Is it really true? That's discouraging

Any one else that have differnt point of view

Don't listen to Jaybe. He's obviously kidding ( and an idiot). Not to mention that he's gonna be a first year orthodontic resident this year. Orthodontic residents are the top of their class. (except Jaybe cuz he's one of the 'dumber ones'. Getting it done at a school is only inconvenient because of the extra time needed to get checked and then double checked by the attending faculty. If your friend doesn't mind appointments that might take an extra 30 minutes, I would definitely recommend getting it done at a school.

Don't listen to Jaybe. He's obviously kidding ( and an idiot). Not to mention that he's gonna be a first year orthodontic resident this year. Orthodontic residents are the top of their class. (except Jaybe cuz he's one of the 'dumber ones'. Getting it done at a school is only inconvenient because of the extra time needed to get checked and then double checked by the attending faculty. If your friend doesn't mind appointments that might take an extra 30 minutes, I would definitely recommend getting it done at a school.

Hey now. . . What you said there was really mean, and if I'm not mistaken its also against the SDN rules on etiquette.

My foibles are not limited to being 'an idiot' and 'one of the dumber ones'. I also happen to be very sensitive. . . on the inside.

Your comments hurt me and they hurt SDN by poisoning the spirit of camaraderie that the rest of us have worked so hard to develop here. I'm sorry, I just had to get that off my chests. :(

Rules on etiquette?

You do realize this is the same forum where people were congratulating a guy for picking the username "LudwigsVagina", right? ;)

Rules on etiquette?

You do realize this is the same forum where people were congratulating a guy for picking the username "LudwigsVagina", right? ;)

Yeah, I was on here earlier and had a good laugh at that guy.

He didn't last too long. . . Think maybe you were a little strict on him there???

Yeah, I was on here earlier and had a good laugh at that guy.

He didn't last too long. . . Think maybe you were a little strict on him there???

Personally, I think he was someone already banned under another name, but I can't remember the name.

Personally, I think he was someone already banned under another name, but I can't remember the name.
Exactly. For some reason he's had a hard-on for years about giving Yah-E as much static as he can manage. He's lucky I got bored with looking before I could match IP's to his main account, or it'd be gone too.

Exactly. For some reason he's had a hard-on for years about giving Yah-E as much static as he can manage. He's lucky I got bored with looking before I could match IP's to his main account, or it'd be gone too.

Okay, now you're freaking me out. . . are you with the CIA or something???
:scared:

Okay, now you're freaking me out. . . are you with the CIA or something???
:scared:

Yeah, Their servers record your IP address, Window version, any type of Firewall software, Internet service provider and city & state. :D :D and possible your computer MAC address.

thanks everyone for your kind reply.

So, based on the replies, MOST of them are positive. I think my friend is feeling more confident now than before.

One last question, so the orthodontic residents are already practicing as general dentists, right??

Thanks

they are all dentists by education..........the question of "practicing and experience" depends mostly on how long each res has been out of dental school.......some have NO experience and some have MANY years of practicing experience in a wide variety of settings.....bottom line is that you cant get much better treatment than in a residency clinic and youll save money but will have to give up a little time while the "teaching" part occurs....