Orthodontic Residency - Pros and Cons of Various Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DamonSelfLigation

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros and Cons of Various Programs in your State?

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia PG
Pro's: Name of school is Columbia. Research influence from UConn factulty. Used to be Cangialossi run, but he moved to Rutgers. Now run by Wadwa and his Uconn ppl. Very heavily research focused.
Con's: If you did DMD from Columbia or harvard, you had barely any clinical training prior to ortho residency and you slow down the other residents. 5 of the 8 current Pg3 residents are all formerly columbia DMD students during the graduating pg3 year, turn off. All of them have limited dental education, how can they teach each other orthodontics. The clinic bays are old. There is a lac of patients due to most of them are being screed at nyu. You will barely finish cases compared to other schools.

ASDOH
Pro's: You get your own chair, facilities are brand new, there are no other specialty departments, small class size of 4. Dr. Jae Par is a boss.

Con's: You are the only specialty. Its in arizona. They accept military/family man type people as preference over the program's mission statement. It seems as if every resident there was married and had children or military. There is a 2.5 year Doctor of public health that is mandatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony Brook Ortho

Pros: A lot of cases you start with as well as from transfer cases, decent facilities, small class of 3, relatively cheap tuition
Cons: kinda stuck in the end of long island but still only about 70-80mins away from the city, class size could be thought of as too small for networking

Columbia Ortho

99% agree with Damon^ EXCEPT, I never heard from my ortho friends that their patients cared about which program they went to. I guess the name value is for your self-satisfaction/pride. Being clinically competent once you are out (by having done many cases) is way more crucial in my opinion.
Cons: GRE required

Rutgers Ortho

Pros: # of cases, as phenomenal as Stony Brook, small class size of 5, relatively cheap tuition, very close to NYC
Cons: area the school is located sucks (heard it can get pretty seriously dangerous at times), old facilities, GRE required

NYU Ortho

Pros: Located in NYC: a lot to party around, nice facilities
Cons: Very very expensive to attend and to live around, about 15 residents per year (including the internationals), no Master's degree granted while very heavily research concentrated, residents were saying # of cases are drastically dropping down

I am obviously from Tri-State area and I did not get an interview invi from any of the hospital-based ortho programs that I applied to, so can't say anything about them. Hope this is helpful to some of you guys.

Seton Hill Ortho

Pros: # of cases (supposedly increased from 30 to 40-50 starts based on senior residents), faculty are amazing (Dr. Don and Dan have 4 degrees behind their name , 30+ yrs of teaching experience at Pitt, editors for AJODO, published over 150+ ortho articles), brand new facilities with state of the art technologies, great co-residents, 30 month program, can select to do an MBA if you want and automatically accepted (separate tuition tho)

Cons: Out in rural PA (not much to do there), No dental school affiliation ( I love teaching, so it won't get a lot of exposure doing that), New program (not really a Con bc eventually will have large alumni network)

Note: these cons are subjective. I only stated these bc some may view these as cons. If you get into ortho, its like winning the lottery, so try and cherish the learning experience

*bump* Because it's getting to be that time again and more input is always appreciated! either a specific program you're a resident of or even just ones you interviewed at :).. otherwise there are only few threads talking specifically about each program besides the general top 5 discussed.

others being:
-this awesome post-interview thread (wish it got more input at the time): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ortho-post-interview-thoughts.1042407/#post-14630415
-tooth's rankings http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/orthodontics-program-rankings.842166/
-http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/paid-orthodontics-residencies-easy-ones.761544/
-2012, 2013, 2014, etc orthodontic match threads

Last edited:
What are the competitiveness of the Ortho Programs that require a GPR? Such as St Barnabas, Bronx Lebanon, etc?