Orthodontic residency without research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get accepted to and graduate from ortho residency if you truly hate research?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally clinically focused programs fit the bill here, especially ones that don't require an MSc to graduate. Just search up ortho programs and you can check them out one by one

It would be best to at least get some research on your application.... I would say that 80-90% of applicants will have some research experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an average/below average stats wise with minimal research experience (did some assisting in undergrad, nothing in dental school) and I have multiple interviews right now. Stay tuned to see whether I match somewhere lol.

With that said, doing some research in dental school, especially with an ortho faculty, can do wonders for you. If your stats aren't the best, then you want to do whatever you can to make your application stand out, including your letters of rec, personal statement, and research experience. I would atleast try to assist on a project if you don't want to do one on your own. In the end the vast majority of programs are trying to output strong clinicians, not necessarily strong researchers. If you can just show them that you're willing to put the effort in to keep up with the latest advances in the field and apply them, you will be in good shape.

Now, I personally wouldn't go around trying to actively avoid a program that requires some level of research to graduate. Not only is that difficult to find, but I think that having some level of knowledge of research and knowing how to analyze it is pretty important to being a good clinician in private practice and beyond.

I'm an average/below average stats wise with minimal research experience (did some assisting in undergrad, nothing in dental school) and I have multiple interviews right now. Stay tuned to see whether I match somewhere lol.

With that said, doing some research in dental school, especially with an ortho faculty, can do wonders for you. If your stats aren't the best, then you want to do whatever you can to make your application stand out, including your letters of rec, personal statement, and research experience. I would atleast try to assist on a project if you don't want to do one on your own. In the end the vast majority of programs are trying to output strong clinicians, not necessarily strong researchers. If you can just show them that you're willing to put the effort in to keep up with the latest advances in the field and apply them, you will be in good shape.

Now, I personally wouldn't go around trying to actively avoid a program that requires some level of research to graduate. Not only is that difficult to find, but I think that having some level of knowledge of research and knowing how to analyze it is pretty important to being a good clinician in private practice and beyond.
good luck to you! keep me posted!
I've tried to research some programs but 99% require research, thesis defense, and publishing. Ugh I truly-really-very much hate research, and want to be an orthodontist lol

good luck to you! keep me posted!
I've tried to research some programs but 99% require research, thesis defense, and publishing. Ugh I truly-really-very much hate research, and want to be an orthodontist lol

It’s only 2 or 3 years of your life, it’s very little in the grand scheme of things. Think about why you hate research and ask yourself is it logical? Have you done enough of it to know you hate it? Do you see the value of research?

It doesn’t have to be your favorite thing in the world, I think that if you can just show programs you’re willing to put the work in and utilize the research skills you learn in residency to make evidence based decisions in private practice, you will be fine.

It’s only 2 or 3 years of your life, it’s very little in the grand scheme of things. Think about why you hate research and ask yourself is it logical? Have you done enough of it to know you hate it? Do you see the value of research?

It doesn’t have to be your favorite thing in the world, I think that if you can just show programs you’re willing to put the work in and utilize the research skills you learn in residency to make evidence based decisions in private practice, you will be fine.
Thank you! These are definitely good questions to ask myself. Not everyone is made for the research, and I'm worried about it now because I don't want to put myself into an overwhelming position when for example I won't be able to graduate because I suck at research

Not sure how @blablabla1 feels but as a current applicant this cycle, as I get closer to Match Day, I realize how badly I want to do ortho.

If you want to do ortho, research won't be the reason to stop you. At the schools I've interviewed at, many residents do a very simple project (lit review) even at places that appear to be research focused.

Last edited:
Not sure how @blablabla1 feels but as a current applicant this cycle, as I get closer to Match Day, I realize how badly I want to do ortho.

If you want to do ortho, research won't be the reason to stop you. At the schools I've interviewed at, many residents do a very simple project (lot review) even at places that appear to be research focused.

Yep, same feeling here. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to become an orthodontist and that’s what has to be conveyed to programs through your application and interview.

And I agree on your second point based off of where I have interviewed so far

If you want to do ortho, research won't be the reason to stop you. At the schools I've interviewed at, many residents do a very simple project (lit review) even at places that appear to be research focused.
Glad to hear that! Good luck to you this cycle!
What do you and @blablabla1 think about the debt? How much are you ready to spend until you say residency is not worth it?