Orthodontics and Overseas Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InformMe123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it is possible for orthodontists to do overseas volunteer work in dental care for people who don't have access to dental care. Would it be general dentistry work? Extractions? Or is orthodontics not even an option due to the nature of long treatment plans?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are correct that ortho would be difficult due to the nature of the treatment plans. While not impossible, logistically it would be a challenge with recall and different doctors on different trips.
We have been doing volunteer dental and medical work in Baja California for a number of years. Most of the work we do is fillings, extractions and cleanings. Some endo. We are lucky to have a lab technician that comes with us and makes dentures/stayplates at the clinic. There is an orthodontist that comes with us and mostly takes impressions and treats the removable patients. None of us would care if he wanted to pull teeth or do some restorative work but I think it is his level of comfort and he is just happy to be involved.