Orthodontics residency chances with low stats? Should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothstuff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I go to a low tier dental school, my GPA is 3.3 and a 4th year. My class ranking is the lower 1/3 of the class.I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out if it's even worth it to try and apply to orthodontic residency. I know my GPA and stats are horrible :( but I really enjoyed learning about orthodontics and do feel like I would be a good fit for orthodontics especially personality wise. If you guys think there's even a slighest bit of hope, what would you recommend I do? I do have research experience, poster presentation etc.. If you don't think I have any chance, I would request you to not be mean about it, thank you so much for all your help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No way to know unless you apply. I would consider 1 yr internships and also apply to programs that are expensive and have a lot of seats. Non match programs like Jacksonville, Georgia, Colorado, Seton Hill come to mind.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s gonna be tough but with great recs, research, gre, adat, and personal statement...it’s possible I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No way to know unless you apply. I would consider 1 yr internships and also apply to programs that are expensive and have a lot of seats. Non match programs like Jacksonville, Georgia, Colorado, Seton Hill come to mind.
Thank you, I will add these to the list of schools that I am going to apply

This might be different from the rest of the opinions here, but here’s what I have to offer as an older/nontraditional dental student:

Grades aren’t the end all be all. 3.3 is a good GPA. Grade inflation is real, and everyone knows it. No one wants to admit it.

Are you truly curious about the work of an orthodontist? Do you know any orthodontists that you can develop relationships with? Building connections is well worth your time IMO than just sucking up to directors with high stats.

A guy in the class above me who graduated made it into oral surgery and was bottom 50% in the class. He showed up to events, did the best he could academically, made connections and didn’t think of himself any less.

The biggest lesson you should take with you is that directors want to see if you can be regarded as one of them. Sounds vain, but true.

Put in the effort to learn about that profession a bit better, write a standout personal statement, perhaps do a GPR or AEGD to get experience and IMO that will make you stand out from the usual suck ups who apply.

Hi guys, I go to a low tier dental school, my GPA is 3.3 and a 4th year. My class ranking is the lower 1/3 of the class.I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out if it's even worth it to try and apply to orthodontic residency. I know my GPA and stats are horrible :( but I really enjoyed learning about orthodontics and do feel like I would be a good fit for orthodontics especially personality wise. If you guys think there's even a slighest bit of hope, what would you recommend I do? I do have research experience, poster presentation etc.. If you don't think I have any chance, I would request you to not be mean about it, thank you so much for all your help guys!
If you get in, almost certainly it will be to a program that will cost you $300,000. How much do you owe in student loans already?

Big Hoss

If you get in, almost certainly it will be to a program that will cost you $300,000. How much do you owe in student loans already?

Big Hoss
I will even pay 600k if I can get into ortho. Ortho's lifestyle is definitely worth it.

I will even pay 600k if I can get into ortho. Ortho's lifestyle is definitely worth it.

Are you sure? 600k + debt accumulated during dental school is likely going to put a financial strain on that "ortho lifestyle" you're envisioning.

Are you sure? 600k + debt accumulated during dental school is likely going to put a financial strain on that "ortho lifestyle" you're envisioning.
I'm not just talking about the finance aspect. For that, it would be much better to open a clinic as GP. What I am saying is that while the practice owner can make more money than ortho, it puts a lot of pressure on the body due to the high intensity of the labor which will lead to irreversible back and neck pain. For ortho, I've never heard of people complaining of back pain.

I'm not just talking about the finance aspect. For that, it would be much better to open a clinic as GP. What I am saying is that while the practice owner can make more money than ortho, it puts a lot of pressure on the body due to the high intensity of the labor which will lead to irreversible back and neck pain. For ortho, I've never heard of people complaining of back pain.

Just use proper ergonomics and take care of yourself. I know tons of people whose "backs are out", or live with chronic MSK pain, due to being fat, inactive, and/or looking at their phones all day who are not dentists. Having said that, I say go for it if you cannot stand doing other forms of dentistry, or actually like ortho.

Last edited:
Not to mention easy access, simple med hx, assistants do a lot of work, no emergencies, healthy mouths, no injections (unless you place TADs), pts generally happy to see you.

I have same GPA and class rank as OP, but I’ll graduate without any debt due to help from parents and relatives. I don’t hate general dentistry but also thought that ortho will be a better choice to avoid any future back pain. Would an expensive ortho program be worth it in my case?

Last edited:
I have same GPA and as class rank as OP, but I’ll graduate without any debt due to help from parents and relatives. I don’t hate general dentistry but also thought that ortho will be a better choice to avoid any future back pain. Would an expensive ortho program be worth it in my case?
Maybe shadow some orthodontists to see how their work is like. Orthos generally see 60+ patients a day. Although the assistants do a lot of the work, it's still a lot to handle. You have to be able to make really quick clinical decisions and generally have to be a "people person."

5 words. One starts with Georgia and the other ends with Orthodontics.

Hey, I know this is an older thread but I just want to say you're not alone. I'm in a very similar situation. Are there any updates at all? Did you decide to apply?