Orthodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious cat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to get an orthodontic residency? Do you have to be in the top 10 percent of the class, or something? What are the other desired residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Mr Cat
Well, first of all are you a US or Canadian Dental graduate? If you are, then yes Orthodontics is like you said pretty competitive, with regards to availablity of residencies, and yes you have to be on top 10, but this varies from programme to another, some programmes take top 5, some take the top one third of the class, so it vairs but generally, it is a really attractive career, I think also your Board result should be competitive, In case that you are a forign dental graduate, then first you need to get a DDS or DMD and I don't know about the rest, I think you can qualify
Hope that was helpful
Khalid

Orthodontics is great, but it's very competitive to get into. My brother went to UCLA for ortho and they only accepted 3 people at that time. It's important that you get really high part 1 board scores. He had a 98, but was not in the top ten percent of the school!