Orthodontist wanting to do OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biffster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The primary question here is this: would an orthodontist who has been in practice for several years be able to successfully match to an OMFS program? Could it be the case that some--or most...or even all--program directors will not consider an applicant who has been out of dental school for several years and who has exclusively practiced orthodontics? Would an externship help? How about an intern year? Would NDBE scores be outdated? I am aware of oral surgeons who have returned to school for ortho training, but not the other way around. Anyone heard of this?

Thank you for any thoughts--especially from OMFS residents or those who might have some particular insights into OMFS resident selection.

Members don't see this ad.

The primary question here is this: would an orthodontist who has been in practice for several years be able to successfully match to an OMFS program? Could it be the case that some--or most...or even all--program directors will not consider an applicant who has been out of dental school for several years and who has exclusively practiced orthodontics? Would an externship help? How about an intern year? Would NDBE scores be outdated? I am aware of oral surgeons who have returned to school for ortho training, but not the other way around. Anyone heard of this?

Thank you for any thoughts--especially from OMFS residents or those who might have some particular insights into OMFS resident selection.

It's going to be program and applicant specific. You'll need to take the cbse. An intern year helps everyone. I don't think an externship will help much (if they even let you do it...might be an observership) unless it's at the program you want in.

Contact specific programs...talk about how much you love orthagnathic...who knows.

I've heard tales of an orthodontist coming back to omfs residency...i believe his nickname was "the mohan".

Mohan, the great Zohan?

image_1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sublimazing, I do have a numerical NDBE Part 1 score. However, it is from the early 2000s. Do you think I would need the CBSE for sure, or would it be on a case by case basis?

Sublimazing, I do have a numerical NDBE Part 1 score. However, it is from the early 2000s. Do you think I would need the CBSE for sure, or would it be on a case by case basis?

It would be advantageous to take, shows commitment to the effort. I was in a similar circumstance (not a wirebender) but graduated a while ago. Tough to study for but really wish I would have taken the test the day before residency started as the knowledge would be very useful to have retained (if I don't use it I lose it). Good luck!

Thanks, guys. Toronto, if you don't mind me asking: How long was the span between dental school and applying for OMS? Are you a resident now? Are you happy about the decision to go back and do OMS?