Orthopaedic & Podiatric Surgeons Joint Task Force 2021

GreenHousePub

2+ Year Member
Navy
  • Apr 30, 2018
    1. Podiatrist
      None of the language in that summarized resolution seems like it is in favor or complimentary to podiatry. It reads more like "we should let them attempt and fail like we expected at doing the standards we set out."

With how much territory the (his) AMA is losing to NPs and PAs as a whole you'd think the language would be a little different.

MaxPayneDPM

5+ Year Member
      Feb 1, 2016
      1. Podiatrist

On the off-chance that people do not have the time or the inclination to read that link, I think the two lines that need to be posted and re-posted to every pod forum in the universe are:

The endpoint is MD=DO=DPM. The Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree does not go away, just as the Doctor Osteopathic Medicine degree did not go away...

...and...

But, again, keep in mind no viable pathway to advance the podiatric profession to true parity exists.

I think it is also important to note that the profession is attempting this at a time when the AMA is in the midst of their own "Scope of Practice Offensive." (Those are their words). While their hands have largely been full with the pandemic and PA, NP and CRNA shenanigans, they have actively been writing letters to state legislatures against podiatry. They have rolled out Truth in Advertising Campaigns in a lot of states and, as you can see in the draft resolution previously posted, seem very determined to enact more clear visual and vocal identification of physicians from non-physicians (which is what they consider podiatrists) in mixed work places like hospitals.

About the Ads
        Sep 7, 2020
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Well the ACFAS president-elect wholeheartedly believes that the AMA is trying to scoop us under their AMA “physician” umbrella so that it ends up being a sort of MD/DO/DPM vs midlevels sort of thing. He alluded that they want us to be defined as physicians just as much as a lot of podiatrists would like and that they don‘t want the resolution to fail. This may be because the cat is already out of the bag as it relates to our education, residency training, and extent of what we do in the OR, prescribing, already being “physicians” under social security act and under many hospitals bylaws already, the recent VA parity change etc etc. The AMA can pretty much make an example out of DPM as they did with DO in terms of professions that successfully meets their “physician” requirements.

The president elect also alluded a few times that this may be a 10-15 year timeline thing in terms of the plenary license. IMO quite literally everything about life as we know it may be very different in 10-15 years in terms economy, healthcare, education pathways etc etc so that seems a little odd especially with how quickly encroachment *cough* parity is moving for the midlevels.

I was quite skeptical in the beginning but I’ll say this, if you do a little digging you might be surprised to find hardly any opposition (if any at all) to these measures and DPM may in fact be given the USMLE green light very soon. In terms of establishing a state/national unlimited license and how we old heads will (or will not be) grandfathered in is a different story. A straight forward solution would be “if you took APMLE 1,2,CSPE,3 and completed 3 year residency by X date then you get the plenary license anyone & everyone else after has to follow X pathway”.

There‘s a video interview that details all of this and a presentation that was given in Vegas recently

Last edited:

heybrother

10+ Year Member
          Oct 17, 2011
          1. Podiatrist
            what the hell is the CSPE?
            A massively expensive clinical skills exam on fake patients with a 99% pass rate in native English speakers. You may recall doing them at DMU in a hallway with fake exam rooms. You fly to this one. DPM powers that be added it because the MDs were doing it and now they want to do away with it.

Reactions: 1 user

MaxPayneDPM

5+ Year Member
            Feb 1, 2016
            1. Podiatrist
              You know...I am related to allopathic medicine through marriage and regardless of how it was written by DeHeen I have been informed that the equation is still:

MD > DO > DPM...or MD > DO >= DPM, but it is certainly not MD=DO=DPM

Don't worry though...I poured her the corked wine on behalf of the entire profession. ;)

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
              10+ Year Member
              Nov 11, 2008
              Under the Western Skies
              1. Attending Physician
                A massively expensive clinical skills exam on fake patients with a 99% pass rate in native English speakers. You may recall doing them at DMU in a hallway with fake exam rooms. You fly to this one. DPM powers that be added it because the MDs were doing it and now they want to do away with it.
                ah yes, who can forget the DMU clinical skills exams...

call1800doctorb

The “B” is for bargain!
                2+ Year Member
                Feb 20, 2019
                1. Podiatrist
                  This is the latest update I could find.

USMLE Response to Request for DPM Eligibility

October 19, 2021

Podiatric education and training, while comprehensive for the advancement of quality podiatric care, may be too narrow given the USMLE’s focus on the generalized practice of medicine across all medical and surgical specialties.
                  Opening USMLE to DPMs is not permitted under the contractual agreement between FSMB and NBME establishing USMLE, which limits eligibility to students and graduates of medical school.
                  We must respectfully decline your request.

Last edited:

Podstar

9:48
                  Lifetime Donor
                  2+ Year Member
                • Mar 2, 2017
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    This is the latest update I could find.

USMLE Response to Request for DPM Eligibility

October 19, 2021

Podiatric education and training, while comprehensive for the advancement of quality podiatric care, may be too narrow given the USMLE’s focus on the generalized practice of medicine across all medical and surgical specialties.
                    Opening USMLE to DPMs is not permitted under the contractual agreement between FSMB and NBME establishing USMLE, which limits eligibility to students and graduates of medical school.
                    We must respectfully decline your request.

I’m shocked.

wakaflocka88

7+ Year Member
                    Apr 9, 2013
                    1. Attending Physician
                      I’m shocked.
                      Haha, kidding right?

I hope current pre pods and pod students don’t believe what your respective school is telling you. Vision 2020 passed and it ain’t happening. Let your hard work and personality do the talking in this profession once you’re out in the real world. To get there, focus on school and get the best training you can.

I trained with MD/DOs and currently work with a lot of MDs in my group. They know what podiatry can do and we highly respect each other’s skill sets. I worked my ass off in school, residency and now in my group to earn their respect in what I do now. There are orthopods in town and in close vicinity but ortho rather send me the trauma and rear foot stuff. School won’t teach you how to do this. You need to put in the work.

Reactions: 8 users
                      About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.